Anthony Lejeune

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

Anthony Lejeune

Post by Charles »

Thanks to Steve Whatley for pointing out to me that one of Dennis Wheatley's close friends, the journalist and author Anthony Lejeune, died on 3rd March, aged 89. His obituary was published in The Daily Telegraph on 8th March.

For many years Lejeune wrote an excellent column in the Sunday Telegraph magazine (I remember reading it without knowing of the DW connection), he broadcast a weekly talk to South Africa for a long time doing for that country what the great Alistair Cooke did for America, and he wrote a definitive book about London's Gentlemen's Clubs (the real ones as against the raunchier clubs which masquerade under a similar name :D ).

In DW terms, as well as being a friend of DW's, he edited down the last two volumes of DW's completed type-written autobiography into one more readable volume ('Drink and Ink'), and some years after DW's death he appeared alongside Phil Baker in BBC4's 2005 documentary in its 'Lost Decade' series, 'The Lost Decade : Dennis Wheatley : A Letter to Posterity'.

For his last few years he suffered from Parkinson's Disease.

RIP Anthony Lejeune ... you will be missed.
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Re: Anthony Lejeune

Post by shanedwyer »

He certainly had Harold Wilson's number:

http://jot101.com/2015/02/the-worst-gov ... 100-years/
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Re: Anthony Lejeune

Post by Steve Whatley »

It should not be forgotten that in addition to preparing Drink And Ink, Anthony Lejeune also edited DW's final book, The Deception Planners: My Secret War.

He was also kind enough to send words of greeting and good wishes for our second DW Convention, and for another a few years later.

Return to “General Topics”