The 2018 London Field Trip

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

The 2018 London Field Trip

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

As those of you who were at the recent Convention will be aware, we are planning to do a London Field Trip in the Spring / Summer of 2018.

Please let me know if you are interested ... and if you are what dates would suit / not suit .... and what you would like to see ...

The plan is to end up with a champagne reception in the evening at a rather prestigious address in Carlton House Terrace.

Sounds tempting ? I hope so !

Do let me have your early responses (by all means to this thread, so they are visible to all interested parties) so we can get the planning underway.

Best wishes to all as always !
Last edited by Charles on Thu 16 Nov, 2017 09:33:38, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Re: The 2018 London Field Trip

Post by Charles »

Incidentally I see this is my 500th post. I think I'll celebrate :-)
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

mary and are certainly up for this.

hope you enjoyed your celebration mule charles :D
brightspice
Level1
Level1

Post by brightspice »

Hi all

Fresh from a fantastic convention I'm very happy we're already talking about the London field trip.

I DEFINITELY want to join the London field trip.

Some Spring/Summer Saturdays that would work for me are:

Saturday 14 April
Saturday 5 May
Saturday 16 June
Saturday 7 July

August is very bad for me as I am not usually in the UK that month.

Also I wanted to suggest some possible sites to visit (?):

Simon Aran’s house location
DW’s birth house in Brixton?
Cremorne Road area (site of the Satanic Lodge in The Satanist)
Location of the old Hungaria restaurant (I don’t think it’s there anymore, but the general area would be good to see?)
DW’s house on Queen’s Gate (I have seen it, but others may not have)
DW’s house on Cadogan Square (I have seen it, but others may not have)

Anna
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

As some of you will have learned by email, we have tentatively set a date for the Field Trip - Saturday 5th May.

We are intending to include at a minimum a visit to Simon Aron's house in 'The Devil Rides Out' and a trip to the Cabinet War Rooms (where DW served in WW2), and we are hoping to finish with a champagne reception in the Library of a building overlooking the Mall - an area full of Duke de Richleau and Sir Pellinore interest.

If you haven't communicated with me by email and you'd like to come, or you'd potentially like to come, do let me know !

Best wishes !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

With many thanks to my very capable and hard working co-organisers, the lunch at Rules in one of their private dining rooms (Rule is where DW used to get the 'bigwigs' drunk in WWII), the visit to Churchill's War Rooms and the evening champagne reception in a Library off Carlton House Terrace and a luxury minibus to take us between venues are all arranged.

The full itinerary is intended to be as follows :

10:00 Meet near Cadogan Square (meeting point to be arranged)
10:00 to 10:20 Photos etc at Cadogan Square
10:20 to 11:10 Travel to Simon's house : 8 Melina Place NW8
11:10 to 12:00 Photos etc at Simon's house
12:00 to 12:25 Travel from Simon's house to Rules (the oldest restaurant in London)
12:25 to 15:20 Lunch at Rules
15:20 to 15:30 Travel to Cabinet War Rooms
15:30 to 17:45 Visit Cabinet War Rooms (plus tea break)
17:45 to 18:00 Travel to Carlton House Terrace
18:00 to ? Champagne Reception at Carlton House Terrace

We decided in the end to go for a 'top notch' tour to make it memorable, and we are going to put the price at £100 per head, but if anyone is feeling generous, the odd additional donation would be accepted. Some of our participants have been very generous already, or the cost would far outweigh that. We hope it will be memorable for everybody.

That price includes everything except incidental teas and coffees, and lunchtime drinks at Rules, which will be extra.

We will have to order our food at Rules in advance, much as we do at our Annual Conventions. I will circulate the menus as soon as I have them, and I will make sure there is a vegetarian option.

I had lunch at Rules last week to 'test it out' ... for those who haven't been there, the venue is simply magnificent, and if you can eat a whole steak and kidney pudding (one of their specialities), you will have my admiration !

For those who have expressed interest already, can you please let me know as soon as you know that you are definitely coming ... I'm very much hoping all who said 'yes' before still can !

We've paid deposits for various venues, so I will be asking for 50% deposits (or if you prefer, the full amount - your choice) in a few weeks time.

We can probably fit in a few more, so if anyone is interested and hasn't contacted me yet, it isn't (quite) too late !

Very best wishes to you all as always !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”