To the Devil.. A Daughter - restored and released on Blu Ray

The place to post anything DW-related
Darren
Level5
Level5

To the Devil.. A Daughter - restored and released on Blu Ray

Post by Darren »

GREAT NEWS FOR ALL YOU LOVERS OF THE FILM TO THE DEVIL... A DAUGHTER!!!!

I think that's just me in this community.

The classic Hammer film of TTDAD has been restored and is being released on Blu-Ray on 13 November. I don't know what special features there will be on it but I am looking forward to this release.

I took the precaution of pre-ordering my copy before informing you - just in case it sells out when you all rush to order it!! :rofl
Regards,

Darren.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

I'm afraid I share the widespread apathy to which you allude Darren. I saw the film 30 years ago and still remember the struggle it took to get to the end. However, in his (her?) Amazon review, 'big sam' does conclude with one very laudable point:

It falls far short of the dennis wheatley novel on which it is based. To the devil a daughter is a wonderful read full of evil intent. The acting for the most part was decent. The saving grace of To a devil a daughter is it may encourage the public to renew there interest in the wonderful works of Dennis Wheatley.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

It is a shame it comes out a week after the convention. We could have shown it and I could have converted you all. Still - there's always next year. \:D/
Regards,

Darren.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

its actually not a terrible film, just a terrible adaptation. if you take the DW connection out of it, as they have almost completely done, and just watch it as a film its not bad.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Other than the Amicus portmanteaus, I think most 70s British horror films are rubbish.
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

shanedwyer wrote:Other than the Amicus portmanteaus, I think most 70s British horror films are rubbish.
THEATRE OF BLOOD (1973) is one of the best Brit horror movies ever, and there are a number of others such as DEATHLINE. VAMPIRE CIRCUS, CAPTAIN KRONOS, the two PHIBES films that are enjoyable. One of the problems that Brit Horror movie makers encountered was that they didn't want to go to the same extremes as NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD/THE EXORCIST. The economic problems of the early '70s also made it hard for them to respond quickly enough to these films. TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER is obviously influenced by THE EXORCIST, but by the time it hit the screens that movie as already three years old. Hammer were following trends rather than instigating them. Another problem with the thing was Christopher Wicking. His horror movie scripts were always wilfully obscure. and given an eminently filmable story such as TTDAD he tore it to pieces.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

shanedwyer wrote:Other than the Amicus portmanteaus, I think most 70s British horror films are rubbish.
Well that's where we differ, Shane. It's my favourite genre.

The Shout, The Wicker Man, Demons of the Mind, The Legend of Hell House, Blood on Satan's Claw, Don't Look Now, Captain Kronos, Hands of the Ripper, Frenzy, Scars of Dracula, Horror Express. And that's just for starters. I could then mention the superb range of British TV horror made in the '70s. But I'll save that for the convention. Don't forget to bring your Boxing gloves. :evil:
Regards,

Darren.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Careful there D. I may be a delicate-looking man, with slender, fragile hands and greying hair, but I have no trace of weakness...

I'll stand by my words re the British film industry. The Wicker Man gets a possible pass, but all the rest...a load of old toot.

I am, however on the same page with you regarding the TV of the period. That was first class- all those MR James adaptations, Schalken the Painter, the incomparable BBC Dracula, even the cheesy ATV Thriller supernatural dramas...brilliant stuff.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

And Now the Screaming Starts (a personal favourite); The Ghoul; Cry of the Banshee; Twins of Evil (Cushing at his best); The Devils (often included in the horror genre - great film); Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell; House of Whipcord; Fear in the Night.

And I could include the US funded films made in the UK (The Omen; Straw Dogs; Alien; The Shining). But I won't!!

And, of course: To the Devil... a Daughter!! :smt013 [-X :smt093
Regards,

Darren.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Just had a new email - the release of TTDAD Blu-ray has been delayed until January 2018. I think they must have been inundated with orders and have probably increased how many they want manufacturing.

\:D/
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

shanedwyer wrote:Careful there D. I may be a delicate-looking man, with slender, fragile hands and greying hair, but I have no trace of weakness...
Like everyone else, SD, I have always been struck by your uncanny resemblance to the great man, and the other D should indeed be careful who he picks a fight with.

It seems to me these are important matters you raise, and that - as you both have some considerable experience in these arts - the matter should be settled in true gentlemanly fashion. Indeed in our distinguished group, could there be any other way ?

May I suggest that on the afternoon of the Convention, an octagonal cage (octagonal both for MMA reasons, and as a tribute to Richard Eaton's Library) is set up in the Beaufort Room, and that the matter is decided by hand-to-hand (albeit not mortal - I am far too fond of you both for that) combat ?

Bill can be the referee (although he may well wish to stand well outside the cage), the ladies can attend to the wounded (if they wish), and Ken G and I will volunteer to pencil in round scores while sitting in comfy chairs and sipping Moscow Mules.

We had best do it before the much anticipated 'wine scroll' speech, as that might impair everyone's senses and be too much of a distraction.

I can arrange the appropriate insurance (and prize !) and inform the hotel. If we publicise the match, I suspect we will have at least two hundred extra people attending the Convention, although they may not all be particularly interested in DW.

Am I getting too carried away ? Should it just be pistols at dawn ? It if is to be pistols at dawn, the Duke guides you on how it is to be done at the end of 'Vendetta in Spain'; but if it is to be hand-to-hand combat, he also has some useful advice in the form of a fight he had as a young man on board a ship in 'The Prisoner in the Mask'. But you'd best make sure that D doesn't consult the same manuals if you are to have the advantage over him.

However the matter may eventually be resolved, your brilliant post had me in stitches and has my vote for best post (so far !) of the year !

All best as always !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

PS. I note that if you all agree with my 'best post' nomination, shanedwyer will have won it twice in the last three years. That is, unless someone pips him to the post in the last few months of the year (hint).

His wonderful winning post for 2015 can be found at viewtopic.php?t=422 if you want to refresh your memory.

Keep them coming, please SD ... and don't forget you and D have to bring your boxing gloves to the Convention .... unless you settle the matter by ordeal by drink ... I daresay some would see that as an acceptable alternative way to settle your difference of opinion. Any other suggestions for dispute resolution ? I recall that the late Bob Rothwell worked in HR and I have a funny feeling that he might have found something wrong with my own, seemingly moderate, suggestions for group entertainment :D

All best !
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

My dear Charles, I feel I must decline any invitation to participate in your proposed corinthian exhibition. As D could declare, with a surety at least the equal of R Brook's:
'I have little to fear. He must be at least fifteen years older than myself, and he is anything but an agile man.'
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Phew!! That's a relief. I tried on my old leotard last night - it was a bit tight and wasn't a pretty sight. :oops:

I'll unpack it from my convention case.
Regards,

Darren.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Morning D. I'm still in bed, hungover. Very far from steely-eyed duellist mode.

Return to “General Topics”