A London Field Trip - ?

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

A London Field Trip - ?

Post by Charles »

Ken's latest on the 2016 Convention prompts a post on something that Franklin and I have been discussing on-and-off.

We have been wondering if at some stage we should have a London Field Trip.

We could see the sites (and in two or three places the actual buildings) where DW lived, visit the road where Simon had his house in The Devil Rides Out, maybe eat in his favourite restaurant from his World War II days (Rules), and for those who haven't done so or would like to do so again, visit the Churchill War Rooms.

That would be a very full day, so maybe we would need two Field Trips - a part one and a part two.

On one of them, Franklin has researched that he would be able to hire a Library in the street in which the Duke de Richleau lived (Curzon Street), and host a champagne reception if that appealed. He even knows a place where he can source some silver tankards so we could drink the champagne 'the correct way '.

If we do it properly, the cost of either the 'A' or the 'B' trip would probably not be less that £100. Let me know your thoughts - and maybe it is something to discuss at the Convention ...

Best as always !
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

That does sound like a fun day (or days) out. I'd probably come along.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

That sounds great, we would definate be up for that.
brightspice
Level1
Level1

Post by brightspice »

Count me in!
Anna
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

I wish to add my support and commitment to this wonderful idea. I thought I would be expressing my interest and ideas at this year's convention but, regrettably, circumstances have prevented my attendance. :smt022

Please include me in any plans you make for the London Field Trip. :smt023
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Thanks,Darren,

I'm delighted the idea finds favour with you.

Regrettably so far the only interest I have seen is what you can see on this page, so at the moment we're are some way away from having a critical mas for what Franklin and I would most like to do - to end up with a champagne reception (the champagne in silver tankards or goblets according to the finest DW tradition) in an actual Curzon Street Library.

It may therefore be that we will need to do a cut-down version - we'll have to see.

I'm most grateful that you've revived this thread. I will raise the topic at the Convention and see if we can spark further interest.

Best to all as always,
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

It's a rotten shame you can't make the Convention Darren. It won't be same without you. And it's all the more reason to get cracking with this field trip.

I'd happily give the reduced version a whirl: A tour of the sights, followed by dinner in some excellent company would make for a great day.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Sorry, should have said before; Jean and I would be interested.

Would we then be (nearly) into double figures?

How many would constitute a critical mass?

Steve
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Firstly let me echo everyone's regret that you can't attend this year Darren, it really will leave an unfilable gap.

I think I replied by email Charles that we would be up for this but just in case I didn't or it didn't get through I will repeat it here, count us in.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Thanks, Ken !
May we please have a slot to discuss the Fieldtrip at the Convention ?

Best to all !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

There's no spots as such left I'm afraid Charles, but we can start off the discussion on nthe plans for next with what sounds like a very exciting trip.
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Charles,

I would be interested in a London field trip.

Return to “General Topics”