Some rather immodest boasting I'm afraid...

The place to post anything DW-related
Alan
Level5
Level5

Some rather immodest boasting I'm afraid...

Post by Alan »

I hope the other users of the library will forgive me a piece of shameless self-puffery here... But a few hours ago I received the advance copy of my latest novel for use in the Australian educatioinal system... A medieval mystery which I hope will keep my young readers on the edge of their seats as much as DW did me when I was young.

What gives this posting at least some relevance here is the book's dedication:

To Richard, Simon, Mary-Lou, the Duke and Rex - Who started me on this whole scribbling busines.

A poor tribute I admit to a far greater writer than myself, and who has given me so much pleasure. But if DW is looking down from the Astral plane, he will know it's sincerely meant.

Now, what far more interesting subject were we talking about?
Rob Pritchard
Level1
Level1

Congratulations

Post by Rob Pritchard »

Alan, I hope I will not be the last to offer congratulations on your publication.

It is marvelous that you have dedicated your book in this way.

Are you the first to do make tribute to the man himself or his works in such a way I wonder?

Dare I suggest that perhaps a scanned copy of the dedication for the site would be in order ...Bob?

Well done.
Rob Pritchard
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Thanks Rob - I feel pretty humble actually, knowing how many far better writers than I don't ever get into print. But shhhh, don't tell my publishers I said that.

As far as I know I'm the first to actually dedicate a work to ficticious characters - come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing a book dedicated to DW either. It may be that it isn't the "thing" to dedicate to another writer, after poor Charlotte Bronte's experience. As any Bronte scholars among you will know, she dedicated "Jane Eyre" to W M Thackaray, which caused him much embararssment since he had a mad wife, as did Mr Rochester, and many people incorrectly thought that the character was based on the writer.

With regards to a scan... I didn't bother, as I can't really see it could be of much interest. It would only use up bandwidth to repeat the quote already given, with publisher details, etc, which can't really be of any interest. However if you'd like a scan of the cover, feel free to email me privately. addy is alansmithNOSPAM23@ihug.com.au. Obviously you'll remove the block caps before using it.

Many thanks again for your cngratulations... I'm currently walking on air... feel the way Gregory Sallust did after the German surrender!

>Are you the first to do make tribute to the man himself or his works in such a way I wonder?

Dare I suggest that perhaps a scanned copy of the dedication for the site would be in order ...Bob?
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Alan - very many congratulations. As you know I should throw your topic out for your blatent self-indulgancies, but because you've dedicated your book to 'Those Modern Musketeers +', I'll turn a blind eye. ;-)

Re other books dedicated to DW, I am aware of the following:
William Younger's 'Inconstant Conqueror, Poems', 1938;
Frederick Cowles' 'Vagabond Pilgrimage. Being the Record of a Journey from East Anglia to the West of England', 1949;
and Charles Birkin's 'The Smell of Evil', 1964.
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Cheers, Alan!
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Merewenna

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Want a light read and be transported back to good old Medieval England? Then I can thoroughly recommend Alan's 'Merewenna' (written as Dan Ashlin). If not, then all you DW completionists must get a copy for its unique dedication. And if that isn't enough to tempt you, there is also a family in the novel by the name of Wheatlie!

Even though the book is intended for Australian secondary schools, I am reliably informed that copies can be obtained through John Wiley & Sons via this link, then choose the English and Drama section.

The cover and publishing details can be seen by following this link.
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Aw, thanks mate - nothing like good pubicity! :lol:

Return to “General Topics”