The 2015 Convention

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

The 2015 Convention

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

This is just to confirm that at the 2014 Convention it was unanimously decided that the 2015 Convention should take place on Saturday 31st October 2015 - again at the Laura Ashley The Manor Hotel at Elstree.

If anyone has suggestions for talks or other activities, please contact Ken Gallacher ... you can do so through posts to this thread if you wish.

Please reserve the date in your diaries, and let your friends know should they be interested !

Best wishes as always !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

sorry about being so tardy in posting this :oops: , but i would like to thank everyone for a great 2014 convention.
it was great to see everyone again.
i hope everyone enjoyed it as much as we did and heres to next year!

ken and mary
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

The hotel have just confirmed rates for this year's Convention :

Friday night Bed & Breakfast

£109.00 Standard / Superior double

£139.00 Deluxe Rooms

£159.00 Suites

Saturday night plus Saturday Conference

£179.00 Standard / Superior rooms

£199.00 Deluxe rooms

£219.00 Suites.

If you could start to give me your firm bookings, it would be helpful.

If anyone is day only without accommodation I'll quote them a rate separately.

Best wishes as always !
Charles
brightspice
Level1
Level1

Post by brightspice »

Hi all

I just wanted to say hello to you all and to thank Charles for setting me up on this forum. I've only recently discovered this group (I've been a DW fan in the wilderness!!!!) but look forward to joining you at this year's convention in October.

Anna
(brightspice)
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Welcome aboard, Anna,

It's an eclectic, global group that you've joined.

And what great news that you're coming to the convention. If you enjoy the excessive lifestyle of DW, you'll love the convention. :smt030
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I second the welcome !

All good wishes !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Welcome indeed anna, come in from the wilderness, pull up a chair and join in😃.

Oh and by the way the excesses Darren speaks of are food and drink. Just saying😇.

Ken
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

You mean we're not performing the Susama Ritual this year?
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Please Jim, we shouldn't talk about these things until anna has been initiated😉
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

I think most visitors to this amazing DW website will be interested in the following link. But, in particular, DW convention attendees should view it. It is a fascinating pictorial present day tour round the area that the DW convention takes place. And central to the site is Tescos (which is only 2 minutes away from the hotel) that I have visited on both occasions of my attendance not realising the history of where I was walking - The Shining is one of my all time favouite films.

The Devil Rides Out and To the Devil... a Daughter also get a mention.

The stanley kubrick reference in the web-name is misleading - it's all about George Lucas, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Hammer (obviously).

http://darkestlondon.com/tag/stanley-kubrick/
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Both sad (insofar as some of the buildings have disappeared) and seriously interesting.

Thank you, Darren.

Does this mean a Field Trip to Tesco next time ? :D :D :D

I shall have a re-read tomorrow, there's so much of interest in that article !

All best !
Charles
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

If we do the field trip to Tescos then we will have to include the house at High Canons, Buckettsland Lane, Well End, which is very close to Tescos and is used as Mocata's house in the film of TDRO. Quite appropriate as we will be staying in Richard Eaton's house.

I suppose a journey from the hotel to High Canons would replicate the journey made by Mocata in the film when he left the Eaton's home saying the he wouldn't be back - "but something will". :twisted:
I am planning to get to the hotel much earlier in the day on the Friday at this year's convention - I might check High Canons out. :smt115

As an aside High Canons was also used in the Satanic Rites of Dracula, and the hotel we are in was also used in A Clockwork Orange.
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

It would be great if you could check it out ... then you can guide us there later !

It's about time we paid Mr M's rendezvous a visit :D

All best as always !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

I'm sure no one needs reminding but the convention is fast approaching, so I will be sending emails to all the volunteers who are contributing this year. in most cases it will just be a outline of the schedule to make sure everyone is comfortable with it, so please look out for the email and if you haven't received it before the end of the week please let me know.

for all other attendees, or future attendees, please have a think if there is anything that you think we could include or change. we will have the usual portion at the end where we can discuss future plans.

hope everyone is looking forward to it as much as mary and I are.

ken
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

What a superb Convention !!!

Thank you Ken for organising it so well, thank you all the speakers (magnificent stuff !) and attendees (I'm glad all newcomers seemed to enjoy it !), and thank you Franklin and Derek for our surprise treat !!!

I will be speaking to my web developers about making the changes to Convention Reports that we discussed, and have sent an email off to the hotel seeking to reserve our dates for 2016 and 2017.

I will let you know as soon as they confirm so you can all put them in your diaries.

Best wishes to all ... and those of you who were absent, you were NOT forgotten !!!

See you all hopefully in 2016 (and 2017 !!)
Charles

Return to “General Topics”