Dennis Wheatley in the Radio Times listings

The place to post anything DW-related
Darren
Level5
Level5

Dennis Wheatley in the Radio Times listings

Post by Darren »

The recently launched BBC Genome Project allows us free online access to ALL the Radio Times listings. The site contains the BBC listings information which the BBC printed in Radio Times between 1923 and 2009. You can search the site for BBC programmes, people, dates and Radio Times editions.

Go to http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/ and type in Dennis Wheatley and you get all the listings that include the words "Dennis" and "Wheatley". So it includes all the Dennis Wheatley entries and others in which those 2 appear as separate words. Below are a few interesting examples:

BBC The Light Programme 17 April 1956 14.00
WOMAN'S HOUR
including:
Guest of the Week: Dennis Wheatley
Report on Reports: Paul Leach draws attention to some interesting reports published recently
You and your paper pattern: Do you give it a fair chance asks Nancy Imlach
Matters of Tact-2: A French-woman, an American, and an Australian are asked for their reactions to some delicate social situations.
Learning the three R's: Laura Jones remembers her schooldays in the 1880s
Serial: ' The Half-Crown House 'by Helen Ashton (to be read in fifteen instalments) Abridged by Barbara Henderson Read by Mary Hignett
Programme introduced by Marjorie Anderson

BBC Home Service 22 August 1966 16.45
HOME THIS AFTERNOON
A magazine of interest to all, with older listeners specially in mind. including:
Archaeology and All That: GORDON SNELL talks to SIR MORTIMER WHEELER
Father's Word was Law: DOROTHY BAILEY , in conversation with ROBERT GUNNELL , recalls life with Thomas Gibson Bowles, the Victorian individualist
Looking at Books: DENNIS WHEATLEY and JAMES WELLARD discuss with JACK SINGLETON some of the problems of writing a historical novel
You asked us to play ... record requests
Introduced by STEVE RACE

DW was to return to Home This Afternoon 4 months later (discussed elsewhere in this site).

BBC The Light Programme 2 April 1967 21.30
LET'S FIND OUT
Dennis Wheatley Novelist and John Wilson Director, Royal Commonwealth Society for the Blind answer questions about themselves put by four teenagers LESLEY WADE KARINA ARDEN MURRAY MCCARTNEY ANTHONY WOOLSTONE with PETER HAIGH in the chair
Produced by David Carter

BBC Radio 4 12 August 1972 12.25
Brain of Britain 1972 Challenge Match
The three finalists from this year's contest:
AUBREY LAWRENCE , STEWART CROW ROBERT ECCLES v
a team of writers: DENNIS WHEATLEY, MAURICE EDELMAN, MP GLYN JONES
Chairman IAN GILLIES
Devised and written by JOHN P. WYNN
Producer JOHN FAWCETT WILSON (Repeated: Friday. 6.15 pm)

It's a great idea - and the site allows visitors to add comments to a listing if they heard or saw it or have any information about the showing, or indeed whether the scheduled programme did not broadcast for any reason.

The DW search also lists all the DW films that have been shown on the BBC including a 1948 showing of James Mason and Valerie Hobson in 'SECRETS OF STAMBOUL' on BBC TV.

The service is useful for any interest or hobby you may have.
Regards,

Darren.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

There is also a TV Times version at: http://bufvc.ac.uk/tvandradio/tvtip/

"The TVTimes Project 1955-1985 provides unique online access to the listings of the London Edition of the TVTimes from September 1955 - March 1985. TVTiP allows you to search for programmes, production staff and performers. TVTiP delivers c250,000 records."

Unfortunately you have to pay £111 + 20% VAT to become a member of the BUFVC (British Universities Film and Video Council) before you can access it.
Regards,

Darren.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Once again Darren, you've done amazing work digging up Wheatley arcana. His appearing on chat and panel shows just how much DW was part of the cultural ether a generation or two ago.

I'm not old enough to have ever heard (or, at least, understood) the great man on the radio. But I do remember, quite vividly, listening to his being discussed on Radio 4's arts programme Kaleidoscope the week he died.
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

Aha! I remember listening to that Let's Find Out programme in 1967. It was hard to believe anyone could outdo chairman Peter Haigh's ultra-BBC accent, but DW managed it. I can't recall much of the actual discussion, only that DW was quite emphatic in restating his beliefs about occult/unseen forces, etc.

And as a quizzing devotee myself, I wish I'd heard the Brain of Britain special. But in August 1972 I'd just relocated to London after finishing uni, and didn't even own a radio!! Does anyone know who won?

Finally, a big ripe raspberry to the BUFVC. (One is tempted to invent some very rude phrases to fit that acronym.) If the BBC can afford to do it for free, why can't they?
Fas est et ab hoste doceri

Return to “General Topics”