New eBook: Dennis Wheatley and the Occult by Craig Cabell

The place to post anything DW-related
Darren
Level5
Level5

New eBook: Dennis Wheatley and the Occult by Craig Cabell

Post by Darren »

Dennis Wheatley and the Occult by Craig Cabell is available to read as an eBook. It was published this year, and is itself a rehash of an essay he previously released in 2001.

It's okay. I didn't learn anything new - it's just a collection of DW quotations from his memoirs, The Devil and All His Works, DW's black magic newspaper articles and brief excerpts from his black magic novels strung together with some narrative by Cabell.

The usual stories about DW spending a weekend with Montague Summers, DW's ghostly experience at boarding school, his success in calling on the devil when playing cards, etc. are all repeated.

If someone discovers this book not knowing these anecdotes then it might prove an interesting read - and DW's non-fiction works are not available as eBooks so I suppose it serves some purpose.
Regards,

Darren.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

I enjoyed the free preview anyway- a foreword from Christopher Lee. Who was as insightful and articulate as he always is.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

I forgot about the preview by Chris Lee, there is also an article by Anthony Wheatley - but again both of these are old works that Cabell has pillaged from the 1980s, so presumably unavailable in eBook form before this.
Regards,

Darren.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

I downloaded and read the essay on Sunday. Your review is spot on- there's hardly anything new there. And it's all rather clumsily written. If it had cost more than a couple of quid, I'd have considered it a waste of money.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

shanedwyer wrote:I downloaded and read the essay on Sunday. Your review is spot on- there's hardly anything new there. And it's all rather clumsily written. If it had cost more than a couple of quid, I'd have considered it a waste of money.
It has been issued as a paperback now, with illustrations. Somehow I got the impression there was a signed hardcover of this little chapbook, but I cannot find it listed anywhere. I understand this is only for the completist (raising hand), but I'm still intrigued...

Return to “General Topics”