DW and the Yanks

The place to post anything DW-related
Jim
Level5
Level5

DW and the Yanks

Post by Jim »

Here's a little trivia question. We know that one of the Modern Musketeers (Rex van Ryn) calls the United States home. Off the top of my head, though, I can think of only two occasions when Wheatley characters visit the U.S.: Gregory Sallust comes to San Francisco in The Island Where Time Stands Still, and Roger Brook is brought to New York against his will in The Irish Witch. Can anybody provide other examples?
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Does Linda lee not visit the states? I read it a long time ago but I seem to think some of it is in the good ole us of a.
Ken
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I do recall a character from The Satanist who was from the U.S.A. He was a Navy guy, I think. I don't remember his name though, as it has been some years since I read the book, but he was an evil sort.

Then there's Murder Off Miami, which I guess should count. Unless there's a Miami in the U.K. I wasn't aware of, that is. That's what comes to mind for me right now.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

D'oh! I certainly should have remembered Murder Off Miami--yes, the Florida one. I haven't read Linda Lee yet, but it's true that she gets involved in adventures in Canada and the U.S.
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

Such Power Is Dangerous is, I seem to remember, set almost wholly in the USA. It was published very early in DW's career, when he still hadn't fully found his true direction as an author, and thought he had to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Which in those days often meant writing about America, a semi-fabulous land in the eyes of most Brits still struggling with the Depression and its aftermath (gold! movies!! etc, etc). The chief villain, Hinckman (check spelling!) is a part Native North American, like the character Henrik G Washington in The Satanist, the one ericmocata seems to be referring to.

Hemmingway Hughes, Sir Sam Curry's confidential secretary in Sixty Days To Live is originally from New York, and although none of the main narrative is actually located there, we do get a long detailed back-story on him and his early struggles in life.

Several of the characters in Uncharted Seas (Harlem Joe, Isaiah Meek, et al) are Americans ..... um, of African ethnicity.

In The Man Who Missed The War, Philip Vaudell's quest to prove his raft concept takes him to New York, which of course is where he meets Gloria (really Mary) Smitth*, his unwilling travelling companion to the Antarctic.

Finally, if we're accepting Americans-by-adoption, we have to include Bill Urata, Julian Day's rival for the hand of Merri Sang in Bill For The Use Of A Body Born in Japan to Japanese parents, he's lived in the States since childhood, and considers himself all-American.

* No, this isn't a typo!
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

That's a lot more than I thought/remembered! Thanks to all for the input...
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Yes, that was a pretty comprehensive reply ... and replies !!!

Soon we'll have people doing PhDs on DW ...

All best to all :D
Charles

Return to “General Topics”