Craig Cabell's book on DW

Post by Jonathan »

Email from Amazon:
Dear Customer,
We are sorry to report that, despite our best efforts, we have been
unable to source the following item:
Frederick Forsyth (Foreword), Craig Cabell "Dennis Wheatley:
Churchill's Storyteller"

Am I depressed or what? I ordered it from them in the Spring.
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

This is devastating news - anyone else got this e-mail (I haven't, yet)?

A couple of us have been pestering the publisher, but he never replies. All very strange. Particularly as Amazon haven't withdrawn the item and it still comes up as No.1 in the most popular results when searching for books by Craig Cabell.
wheatleybert

Craig Cabell Book

Post by wheatleybert »

I have also had the email from Amazon and had been waiting for many months - what a let down!! Woder what has happened? A very odd situation indeed !
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

A correspondent in Spain has received an e-mail dated 12 October from the publisher where they state
... the book has not yet been published. We are nearly there and I would hope copies will be ready in a few weeks time.
Maybe they intend to time the release with the BBC FOUR TV programme?? I live in hope!
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Update: Amazon are now quoting me a dispatch estimate of 31 Oct 2005 - 7 Nov 2005.
Jonathan
Level1
Level1

Post by Jonathan »

The expression 'Yeah, Right' comes to mind.

I've emailed the publishers and got the same lack of reply as you did. Amazon has consoled me in my disappointment by giving me a £5 gift voucher. I'm waiting for more concrete news and will use it when the Cabell book resurfaces. I assume there's merely some publishing problem here and not necessarily dirty work at the crossroads.
Rob Pritchard
Level1
Level1

Craig Cabells Book

Post by Rob Pritchard »

I havent been offered any compensation for my fruitless wait!

:-({|=

I will have to have a word with Amazon!!

What a dissapointment - they will be kicking themselves to have missed the opportunity to link the book launch with the programme on BBC4.
Rob Pritchard
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Churchill's Storyteller (at last!)

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Sorry, but I'm way behind with this topic.

Can I assume everyone has now got their copy? Mine arrived between the turkey and the whisky/fireworks.

Thoughts as to content: an easy way to fill a book - reprint an earlier publication (in this case 'Stranger than Fiction').

However, I did enjoy the contemporary comments which helped to put the war papers into context. And the telling of DW's experiences in the JPS was a fascinating insight into the workings of the deception process. All in all - an education.

The book also has a useful bibliography at the rear, but for a more accurate telling without spelling mistakes, repeated entries, misclassifications, omissions, etc., please follow this link.
Frank Linmarsh
Level2
Level2

Post by Frank Linmarsh »

Hi Bob - we've met before at The Vault Of Evil. Just a quick note to see if anyone saw yesterday's Daily Express? I got talking to my elderly neighbour about DW recently - turns out he's a fan. He very kindly posted a couple of pages of the Express through my door- basically a two page puff for the Cabell book. Nice to see DW still making the UK press tho'!
It Begins
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Having read the Express piece, it seems less a review than a synopsis of the book. As Bob says, the book itself seems less an original work than a combination of STRANGER THAN FICTION and THE DECEPTION PLANNERS. But with both of those out of print, that's not so terrible, I guess, if it renews interest in DW and all his works...

I still haven't seen a copy in the U.S.
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Welcome Frank

Yes, got a copy of the Daily Express. If anyone wants to see what it says, please drop me a pm.

Jim: Interesting that we've been able to get copies of CC's book here in the UK since December, but the Express tells its readers that it will be available from March 23rd!! (It doesn't say 2006, so perhaps this was got ready when we were first expecting it last year!!)
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

I finally got hold of the book during a holiday in Bouremouth. Pretty much agree with everything said, especially about DW's writings finally being republished after all these years (it's a bit naughty of the 'author' to claim that it's anything else but an edited reprint of DW's non-fiction war writings with a few notes!) I also disagree with him that DW's writing is too old fashioned to appeal to today's readership.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I finally got this book a while back from TheBookDepository.com, an outfit which I recommend highly.

It's true that great chunks of this book are recycled from DW's own accounts, but he himself admitted that those books were more or less flung together, without any real editing. Cabell puts the material in historical context, which DW could not have done, so soon after the events. (It's true, of course, that DW's readers needed the context less.) Also, as I noted earlier, neither of the original books has been available to the general public for some time.

I also got, around the same period, Peter Haining's WHERE THE EAGLE LANDED, in which he discusses the possible truths behind the "persistent legend of German forces landing on the coast of Suffolk in the summer of 1940." Haining says it was in a conversation with DW that he got his first real clue that the legend was based on fact. (Then he gets the title of the first Gregory Sallust novel wrong, calling it DARK AUGUST ...)

Return to “General Topics”