The Black Art

The place to post anything DW-related
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

The Black Art

Post by ericmocata »

I was just curious if anybody else here has ever read Rollo Ahmed's The Black Art, not only because of the introduction by DW himself, but also the fact that the book exists almost entirely due to the success of The Devil Rides Out. I've had a paperback edition of it for some time now, but just recently found a first edition of it online, so I am waiting for that to arrive.

Overall, it is certainly an enjoyable book, if you are into the subject matter, of course. Rollo himself seemed to be skeptical about some of the stories about the occult, though he was quite clearly a believer; he just didn't believe everything he read or was told. However, there are certain things in the book that I am fairly certain are nothing more than legend.

However, if you've read it as well, I would like hear what you thought of it.

And if this has been asked before, just point me in the right direction.
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

I bought my paperback edition of this (published by Arrow, of course) over 40 years ago, at a time when the occult was starting to become more widely written about than previously - part of the general loosening-up that was under way in Britain from the mid-60s on. But it's many years now since I gave it a thorough read. Time I did so again.

Like you, I remember finding it enjoyable and interesting, though not in my opinion quite up to the standard of Richard Cavendish's survey with a very similar title, which first appeared c1967.

And you've found a first edition hardback?! Well done! Can't be very many of those around by now.

My copy has a plain black cover (natch) with magical symbols and pictures traced in cyan blue outline on the back - a very striking design. It may only be coincidence, but that's actually how I've specified the screen display on my laptop to look when I use Word or Excel!
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I too have read Richard Cavendish's book, The Black Arts, and I agree with you completely. It seems that Cavendish is a bit less sensationalistic, making it a more reliable source of information. Quite a fascinating read, as well. I've long been interested in the occult, which is largely what drew me to Wheatley's work to start with, which I am sure comes as no surprise (although, I am quite happy to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed his books whether or not they feature any occultism. Forbidden Territory, for instance, was wonderful and I love the lost worlds novels). Although, it sounds like you've had a bit of a head-start on me, as I wasn't even around 40 years ago.

However, it does seem that the occult increases in popularity from time to time, then fades away into the background again for a little while. When I was in high school, which was the '90s, the late '60s and early '70s had a certain appeal to me because of the resurgence of interest in the subject and they still do to this day, actually. At the moment, I am reading Sax Rohmer's occult book, Romance of Sorcery, which seems to focus more on telling the stories (or in some cases, legends) of notable occultists in history, such as Dr. John Dee, Blavatsky, Cagliostro, etc.

The first edition of Ahmed's book that I tracked down is in pretty good shape, but it doesn't have the dust jacket, which I knew before buying it. Still, I couldn't resist buying it. It has some wear, but not too much, considering it is about 76 years old. I haven't found too many copies, aside from paperback reprints, of the book. I looked for a good while to find any first edition of it. Maybe someday I will get one with the dust jacket.

I also just received a Hutchinson Century hardcover edition of the Scarlet Imposter, which I paid a total of $6 for, postage included. That was a very nice surprise.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I thought I owned the Cavendish book, but it's his The Powers of Evil that I have.

I do have Rollo Ahmed's The Black Art in hardcover. Two years after DW wrote an introduction for the Arrow paperback, there was a new hardcover edition from Jarrolds (yet another Hutchinson imprint) with very similar cover art, but without Wheatley's name on the cover. I have the Rohmer, too, but have not read it. (Some day, when I retire...)

Congratulations on scoring the Century edition, too! When I see these listed online, they are almost invariably ex-library copies...
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

That Century edition of Scarlet Impostor (which I spelled with an "e" in my last post for some reason) is also unread apparently. Some of the last few pages were attached together at the top from not getting cut quite right. I had to carefully separate them. The dust jacket a couple of small stains/marks on it. Has a really classic picture of Wheatley in his prime on the back. Although, I was curious about the rear flap because it looks like there was a printing error. There is a piece glued onto the back flap and it is covering a blurb about "This new edition of The Devil Rides Out". I can still read some of it through the pasted-on piece. Anybody know anything about that? Anyhow, I just was expecting a reasonable condition paperback. Sometimes surprises are good.

Don't have Powers of Evil, but I will probably keep an eye out for that one.

My apologies for any errors in my typing which make this post difficult to read. It was a long day at work.

Return to “General Topics”