The Duc at Butlins

The place to post anything DW-related
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

The Duc at Butlins

Post by Garry Holmes »

After reading about Billy Butlin approaching DW to set one of his novels in his holiday camp in the latest installment of the museum, I was reminded of the other authors who were approached with the same request. Leslie Charteris responded in the same way as DW, claiming that The Saint would never stay at Butlins. John Creasey, on the other hand, was happy to produce THE TOFF AT BUTLINS. You have to wonder whether Billy Butlin had ever read any of the authors that he approached, or just got some flunky to give him a list of the best-selling writers at the time. I certainly can't imagine a circumstance where any of DW's characters would go anywhere near Butlins. When your spiritual home is somewhere like Monte Carlo, Blackpool just doesn't have the same allure.

"The Duc de Richleau and his friends went to dinner at eight, but the knobbly knees competition was not until nine-thirty."
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

I sprayed coffee all over my screen when I read that, thank you very much!!!!!!!
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Alan wrote:I sprayed coffee all over my screen when I read that, thank you very much!!!!!!!
I'm terribly sorry about that, Alan! (evil laughter :rofl )

Return to “General Topics”