2012 Field Trip to Salisbury Plain

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

2012 Field Trip to Salisbury Plain

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

As those of you who were at the last Field Trip or the 2011 Convention will know, we have been thinking of having a Field Trip to Salisbury Plain, to recreate The Devil Rides Out car chase in the Summer of 2012.

We would stay (if rooms are available) at The Bear in Hungerford as it is mentioned in the book, and use our cars to trace the route, having a stop at Stonehenge etc.

The hotel (like the Edgewarebury) tends to get booked up early for weddings etc, so can I trouble you, if you are interested, to :

1. Look at the links below and see if the hotel appeals, and is so, what sort of room you would be interested in, and
2. To let me know when in June to September 2012 would work for you if we do it.

http://www.thebearhotelhungerford.co.uk ... _offers-17

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/bearram ... tAodGmJMGQ

If we can get a critical mass of numbers, we can then go ahead and book.

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Don't forget Steve W has earmarked 2013 for Traben-Trarbach ...

Best wishes as always !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Hello all. Well isn't this exciting? Just back from one trip and planing the next field trip already!
As its quite a long drive for us then the ideal time would be the same as the lymington trip. Either weekend of 13/7 or 20/7.having said that we won't want to miss it so we probably go whenever it is.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

I believe we're making progress !

The Field Trip to Salisbury Plain

The only dates that seem to have a chance of being possible for everyone are Fri/Sat 17/18 August or Fri/Sat 24/25 August.

The Bear at Hungerford confirm they have the necessary 6 double rooms (and maybe a few more) on each of these weekends at the moment. Prices are apparently £125 per room per night B&B - in other words £250 for a couple for the two nights B&B.

We would have to add in of course for Friday night dinner and Saturday lunch and dinner, our individual petrol costs, admission to Stonehenge (assuming we pop in) etc.

I haven't asked the cost of a group dinner (or two) at the Bear at this stage, but hopefully this gives a reasonable idea of the costs we would incur.

Can I please now check who would want to reserve for an event of this nature if we held it on one of these two weekends ?

If we have a critical mass, I would propose as with our last field trip to ask The Bear to hold the rooms, and then get everyone to make individual reservations.

Just let me know your thoughts, please ...

Best wishes as always !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Everybody,

That's settled !

The Salisbury Plain Field Trip will be on Saturday 25th August 2012.

The Bear in Hungerford have enough rooms for us at the moment, but they may fill up relatively fast.

The discounted (they advise) rate we are getting is £125 per night for a double room, and I'm personally booked in for the Friday (24th) and Saturday (25th). I've also booked us use of their private dining room for the evening of the 25th.

They've provisionally earmarked us 6 double rooms at the moment. To take one, telephone them (01488-682512), give them the dates and quote my name.

As mentioned, as with our last Field Trip (and unlike with our Conventions), while I've "earmarked" rooms, for this we make our own hotel bookings direct and individually.

Incidentally, it's better for this to book by telephone rather than going online because (a) for some rooms the website says they're full when they aren't, and (b) it means they can identify that you're part of 'our group'.

When you've booked, I'd be grateful if you would drop me an email so I can keep tabs of numbers.

I understand if anyone makes a booking but later has to drop out, there's a last 48 hour cancellation penalty, but I only heard that over the phone - please don't rely on it without checking !

I'll aim to have a recce between now and then to work out a suggested "driving itinerary" for the Saturday.

Best wishes as always
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

I believe we now have our final line-up for the August Field Trip to Salisbury Plain, staying at The Bear in Hungerford (of 'The Devil Rides Out' fame) on the nights of 24th and 25th August.

Those participating are, in no particular order :

The Becks (3)
The Gallachers (2)
The Pattons (2)
The Whatleys (2)

i.e. 9 people in all.

If I've missed anyone out, or anyone else wants to go, please shout soonest !

All best to all !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”