Edgar, Eric and Dennis

The place to post anything DW-related
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Edgar, Eric and Dennis

Post by Garry Holmes »

I recently decided to clear out my spare rooms, and found myself with a box full of old video tapes that I must have recorded in the 80s and 90s. There were a load of EDGAR LUSTGARTEN: SCOTLAND YARD programmes from the early 50s, which I had taped off a satellite channel. They're dramatisations of real life cases, all introduced by the wonderfully sinister crime writer. The names (and some small details) are all changed, but the tales are all supposed to be true. I was watching an episode called THE MISSING MAN: THE CASE OF GERALD EDWARD NEIL, when about half way through I suddenly had a feeling of deja-vu. A retired vicar and his wife discover that their son has disappeared, and after the mother has a dream that their son has been murdered and dumped down a well they decide to track him down. After a long search they find that their son's business partner had murdered him, disposed of his body down a well, and assumed his identity in order to steal his money. This is the story of Eric Gordon Tombe, even down to Ernest Dyer (his murderer) committing suicide when he thinks that the police have discovered his crime. There's no mention of Wheatley, of course, and 'Gerald Neil' is kept as a shadowy figure, dead before the story even begins. The series was originally shown as a supporting programme in the cinema of the 50's, turning up sporadically on TV from the 60s onwards. I wonder if Wheatley was even aware of this film's existence.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Hi Garry,

How extraordinary ! Don't throw it away !

All best from all of us,
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

P.S. Steve Whatley just emailed me - your email prompted an idea in both our minds, and I've just bought a copy as a possible item for the Convention.

Thanks again, Garry- a fascinating discovery !
Charles
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Pleased to be of service! Even without the DW connection, the programme is a fun way to spend 30 minutes. If you end up showing it at the convention, I think that people will enjoy it.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

The disk arrived last night and I watched it.

Absolutely fascinating ... and as you say, with the burnt out stables etc etc etc (I won't spoil it for those who will watch it at the Convention), it has to be based on Gordon Tombe.

DW can't have enjoyed watching it, if he was ever made aware of the programme.

It's a real find !

All best !
Charles
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

The magazine MASTER DETECTIVE (March 2014) has an article about the Gordon-Tombe case. It's accurate as far as it goes, although G-T comes across as a complete innocent, and there is no mention of DW, of course!
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I have to say I am a bit disappointed. When I saw this post, I thought maybe it was about me, but no.

Seriously, this case is pretty interesting, but it seems weird to remove Wheatley from it. It's been a bit since I read the details, but it seems a big thing to leave out.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

How pleased DW would have been all these years later, that the Gordon Tombe case could be mentioned, and his name left out of it !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”