DW Events for 2011

The place to post anything DW-related
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Well thank you for the nice words but I can't really take credit for it as it is in the book!
Not sure if it's a good thing as it means more possibilities but I think it increases the chances of cardinals folly existing in some form.
I won't charge you Steve but I nay allow you to buy me a drink :lol:

Ken
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Alan wrote:
... Shakespeare (the Elizabethan Dennis Wheatley) ...
The quote of the year (so far !) ???

A truly wonderful soundbite that will run and run ... I love it !!!

:D
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

It looks as if Iwan and Margareta will be unable to join us at Lymington - having broken her hip a while back, poor Margareta has just broken her leg.

I've passed on our commiserations. Hopefully they'll both still be able to make our main October Convention.

We now look to be 12 - 14 for Lymington; still a very respectable number.

I'll issue further updates as and when I hear more ...

Best as always
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Sad news indeed. I gather Margareta was due to be discharged from hospital on Wednesday, so hopefully she is recovering in the comfort of their home now.

Iwan says that as a result of this he's been promoted from Nurse to Sister!

Doubtless we will raise a glass or two to Iwan & Margareta when we are in Lymington.

Best Wishes to all,
Steve[font=Courier New] [/fonti]
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

That really is a pity about Margareta. Mary and I had been so looking forward to meeting her. Well our thoughts are Margareta and Iwan and we hope for a speedy recover.

Ken and Mary
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Hi Charles,

Looking forward to Lymington. Have you any idea (roughly) when we are likely to be finished on the Sunday (or is it too early to ask?)

Steve
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Hi Steve,

A very good question !

My own guesstimate is that rather like with the Elstree Conventions, we would finish late-ish at night on the Saturday, with attendees going their own ways from their various sleeping places on the Sunday morning ... although I know some people (not unfortunately me) will have a little extra time, and may therefore hang on a bit and provide their own supplementary excursions.

Does that sound right to you ?

In terms of the Saturday, I'm hoping to go down to Lymington and have a look around in the next couple of weeks as it's several years since I was last there with Bob.

Whereas our Conventions are more regimented, I thought in terms of agenda we might leave this rather more open, to decide on the day what we want to do. ... and I suspect some in the party may wish to do slightly different things in various parts of the day (Nat, for instance, might want to peek into the odd female oriented shop at some stage !).

That said, and I am very much open to suggestions, and simply to start the conversation going, how about our meeting up at the Angel Inn for coffee around 10ish and proceeding up the hill to the site of Grove Place and DW's serpentine wall and then doing the top of the High Street and trying to spot some of the houses mentioned in the Roger Brook novels.

We could then wander down to the sea front for lunch (I'll look for an acceptable restaurant - one of our number has given me a couple of suggestions). Perhaps after that we could have a quick look for Sir Gifford Hillary's beach hut if that's practicable, and then move off to have a look at the outside of Sway tower (or the inside if Ken can sweet-talk the owner !). Maybe have a cup of tea there ???

Supper - if it looks appealing enough on my recce - at the Angel, as it plays its part in the Roger Brook novels ????

I'd very much like this to be a group effort though, so I'd be more than delighted to hear other suggestions, and also to hear from anyone who's made a recent visit ....

Best as always - and thanks again Steve, for raising the point ...
Charles
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

That all sounds fine Charles. I'd certainly like to go to the top of the Sway Tower if it could be arranged.

I haven’t set foot in Lymington since the early 1960’s when my parents took me on holiday to the Isle of Wight. We took the train from London to Southampton. We then had to get a local train from Southampton to Lymington (Dad didn’t have a car then).
The train was one of the old steam trains and I can still remember looking out of the window seeing the smoke from the engine.
We then took the Ferry from Lymington to Yarmouth. Do they still have the ferry there?

Steve
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Charles,

Your suggestions for the Saturday are ok for me.

I have only been in Lymington to catch the Ferry, yes Steve it's still there, so do not know much about the place to put forward any suggestions.

Looking forward to meeting everyone again

Duncan
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

Just to say I have sent further details of the Lymington trip to those who I know are coming.

If anyone reads this and they haven't received the email, please let me know - I'll send one off a.s.a.p.

Those of you who won't be there, we'll be thinking of you (I will try to persuade you-know-who to do a Report !), and hoping to see you at the October Convention.

Best wishes to all as always !
Charles
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

(I will try to persuade you-know-who to do a Report !)

You make me sound like Lord Voldem.... Don't say the name!!!!

I can be bribed!!!!

L. M...........
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Hello all.
Thanks for all the info charles. I don't know if it is suitable or maybe even just a daft idea but we had wondered about a picnic on the Saturday afternoon? We could all bring some local delicacy from our home area.(no mention of deep fried mars bars please!). Obviously the weather would be a factor but it may also help keep things moving along. Just a thought.
Ken
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Hi Ken !

My only question would be, if we're talking the 'main meal', and as you yourself observe, "what if it rains" ?

On a Saturday, getting the thirteen of us (that number again !) into the same restaurant when everyone else is diving for cover might pose quite a logistical problem.

On the other hand, I wouldn't like to miss out on any local snacks that are on offer :D

Feedback from all, please.

Steve P - any connection to any occult figure created by anyone other than DW was entirely unintentional - you are far nobler than Lord V, and better looking (again :D ). As for bribery, leave that to me !!!

All best to all !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Hadn't thought of that Charles. I suppose us up here in the grim north imagine all these long, hazy English summer days with strawberries and cream washed down with Pimms.

Ken
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Whilst on the subject of Lymington did anybody happen to see, 'Escape To the Country'

It was on the BBC last Wednesday 6th July (17.15 - 18.00)

It was one of these programmes where couple's have X amount of pounds to spend and the TV presenters search for various houses for them. This time it was Hampshire. One of the places visited was Lymington. Not only did it show the The Angel - front & rear but a certain serpentine wall.!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006vb2

Series 11 Hampshire

enjoy

Stevie P

Return to “General Topics”