DW Events for 2011

The place to post anything DW-related
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

sorry hit the wrong button and posted the previous one before i had done. :roll:

the reviews aren't very good though so lets hope the refurb is good. got the reveiws from tripadvisor if anyone wants to have a look.

could i suggest here
http://www.towerhall.co.uk/

i reckon this is could be col thursbys tower.

ken
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

I agree with Steve W. The Angel Inn sounds a good first choice especiaaly with the likely numbers involved.

If my memory serves me correctly Steve is also correct in his thinking that parts of The Ka of Gifford Hillary has connections to this area.

Duncan
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Hi Everybody,

Sorry that I couldn't get involved yesterday. We were wining and dining in a lovely pub - The Crooked Billet near Henley-on-Thames.
These things have to be done!!!

The Angel sounds fine to me (as do the dates). I might even manage to bring the "boss" with me!!

Best wishes

Stevie P
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Ken,

I've only just seen your note re. Tower Hall. Brilliant.... It certainly looks good. The only discrepancy is that according to 'The Launching of Roger Brook' it was supposed to be in Highcliffe but this could just be DW's artistic licence!!

Certainly worth a look.

Stevie P
K R Cope

Post by K R Cope »

TBH, we're concerned by the many dire reports on the Angel Inn in Tripadvisor:-

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... ml#REVIEWS

Obviously no harm in waiting a few days to see what the refurbishments are, and what new price they might offer, but that's not going to alter the situation of a noisy main road until 2 a.m., and the market stalls being set up at 5 a.m. on a Saturday (reviews on Google also refer to the same problem). Remember, it's a town inn, right in the centre, not a up-market country hotel like the Edgewarebury.

It's around five years since I was in Lymington, but I visited several times prior to that when a friend lived for a few years in Hampshire, and it is a very busy town (particularly for yatching and as the terminal for one of the car ferries to the Isle of Wight). And 16th July will be one of the busiest holiday weekends of the year.....
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

We also have some concerns on the suitability of the Angel. The Sway tower does B&B and although the website is a bit sparse on details it is In the same price bracket as the Angel. I know this is making more work for you Charles but I am sure I am not alone in saying that if you need any help in chasing down prices and availability I would gladly help.

Stevie, great thing about finding the tower is that it increases the chances of cardinals being real.

Ken
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I agree it's hard to know what the Angel would be like, despite it's refurbishment, although I can't argue the DW association would be unique.

I'm rather tied up at work this week, but if anyone would like to ring around any other venues and see if they'd have sufficient rooms and the prices, I wouldn't mind a bit.

In terms of numbers it looks as if we'll be a dozen plus, with possibly four doubles and four singles, although the number of doubles - and the numbers generally, may increase. Also, although nobody has come back definitively on that specific point, I guess a number will want to stay on the Friday night as well - that would include Nat and me.

If no-one else has a chance to have a go, I'll pick up on my own research next weekend.

Very best to all as always !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

hello all.
i have emailed the tower and i will copy it below. it has their reply before my request.
I so remember being absolutely captivated as a very young child whilst reading Uncharted Seas.As a bit of an engineer I particularly remember a bit about cutting up a prized bible for its leather content in order to fabricate a head gasket!!!
Anyhow,thank you for your enquiry and yes,we are able to do this booking if you so wish. We only have a total of six rooms and we have no reservations to date for the 15th and 16th. The tariff at Tower Hall is 95 Pounds per room on a double occupancy basis, and that includes a very comprehensive breakfast menu.Breakfast itself is served in the glass link that " wraps" around the Tower itself.
please do feel free to call us should you need more information.

Kind Regards,

James Wallrock
PS I do believe that the long wavy walls in Church Lane were built by Dennis Wheatley???

> Subject: Booking
> From: kdwgallacher@yahoo.co.uk
> Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 13:19:33 +0000
> To: info@towerhall.co.uk
>
>
> Hi, I would like to enquire about a party booking for the weekend of 15th and 16th of July. There will be approximately 12 of us requiring 6 rooms bed and breakfast.
> We are members if the Dennis Wheatley society who as you may know was a best selling author who for sometime lived and wrote in lymington. In fact we think the Sway tower may be the inspiration for a location in one his novels.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ken Gallacher
> Sent from my iPhone

so if we are interested the problem is 2 rooms short. would it be a problem if we are not all in the accommodation? if there is anyone travelling on their own would they consider sharing?
judging by the tone of the reply they sound like reasonable people and even if we decide not to stay there i will ask if we can visit and if it is possible to climb the tower.

please let me know what you think.

ken
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Ken,

Magnificent work, thank you !

While some people may want to see what the Angel Inn offers (if anything), we clearly have those among our number who make the very understandable judgment they would rather not stay in a noisy town centre in any event, and I think you've found a very decent option for them.

It seems to me you are correct when you say we may not all be able to stay in the same place, and unlike with a Convention, with a field trip, I don't personally think that would be the end of the world - we could still all convene for the day's activities and for lunch and dinner ... and no doubt drinks afterwards - before we head off to our separate locations for bed.

Given that places may fill up rapidly, I think it would be very helpful for everyone to pool their feedback in the Library as soon as possible - if we have people who say 'The Tower is definitely for me', my own feeling is that we should say they should go ahead and book - while letting everyone else know so we retain an overall picture of who is staying where. Others could join them or take their chances with the Angel ... or whatever else is available.

This view comes from my reading that not everyone is likely to want to stay in the same place for this event, and that it probably matters less than it would for a Convention - where in any event not everyone has stayed overnight - with one of our esteemed number making it a day event. That said, it's nice for nobody to be 'on their own' unless they wish it.

What do you all think ?

Given that Lymington seems quite short on our type of accomodation, early feedback on how everyone would like to play this one would be very much appreciated !

Very best wishes to all as always !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

I've had an email from Marston's Inns, who run the Angel, and they say it's o.k. to do online bookings.

Looking at their website http://www.marstonsinns.co.uk/ they have rooms available. You can see prices on the website and they're basically in the £72.95 to £82.95 range.

For myself, I'm inclined to take a risk and go for the Angel for two nights (15th and 16th)- the history is guaranteed, if not anything else :D and they have a family room which would suit as our 14 year old son will probably be coming along with us (not a DW fan yet - but I'm working on it !).

I think we have some varied choices (there are almost certainly other places none of us have contacted), and I don't see why different people shouldn't do different things - indeed because of our numbers, I think that's inevitable.

Given how hotels are clearly at a premium in Lymington, I think we should all book soonest, and given our individual preferences, I think it might be best for us to all book direct - letting everyone else know what we're doing, of course.

If any singles wanted to look at pairing up, I'd be happy to pass on email addresses so long as the recipients had no objections.

Before I do anything - and before I contact Iwan to see what he wants to do, can I please have everyone's reactions ?

a.s.a.p would be very helpful in the circumstances.

Best to all !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

... and just a note about the Autumn Convention ... the Edgewarebury Hotel has confimed us for the 29th October.

Prices may be a trifle higher, but not materially so.

Best as always !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

'Prices may be a trifle higher, but not materially so.' How then? Spiritually? Most appropriate!!

Seriously, though, Charles, many thanks - I'm sure we're all looking forward to the fourth Convention already. And thanks to your early booking, we have longer to look forward to this one than in previous years!

As to the 'field trip' (good expression, that), I must admit to being torn between Tower Hall and The Angel. Perhaps Charles is right; we should all book individually the establishment of our choice. If it turns out that we are more or less evenly spread between the two suggested venues, we will have two jolly groups when we are not all together.

I'm going to try for The Angel on the basis that it is handy for Lymington, assuming that we are going to spend the bulk (all?) of the Saturday there.

As regards the Tower, so far as I can gather this was built some time after 1868, so Georgina can hardly have 'made a man' of Roger at the top of the tower in 1783. However, I do agree that this structure may well be DW's inspiration for the tower in the book. If so, it is perhaps an example of DW exercising 'historical licence', which I'm not sure he did with places, buildings, events, dates, etc; but there again, it could be 'the exception which proves the rule'. Does anyone know of any other examples?
[font=Courier New] [/font]
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Charles,

Ann & Myself would like to confirm a double room for two nights at the Angel (first choice) or the Tower (second choice) .

All the best

Stevie P
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Well now I'm thoroughly confused - I tried the Angel's booking form again just now - some six hours after I last tried it and there were lots of vacancies showing - and this time round it didn't show any rooms available.

Has anyone else had the same issue ?

If anyone wants the Angel and can get through, I suggest they book it .... otherwise, the DW group will look set to take over the tower :D

I'm confused - perhaps all will become clear tomorrow or Monday !

All best !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Thanks Charles. Good to hear about the corus, I suppose a rise was inevitable so good it would seem to be an acceptable amount.

I think it would be really good if we could all stay together for the "field trip". Unfortunately I really don't fancy the Angel. I am really bad sleeper and the thought of possibly spending a couple nights in a noisy room fills me with dread.
The Tower isn't ideal either as it is a little out the way especially if we are travelling back and forth to meet up. Despite that as I don,t mind driving and we will staying in the area for the week and we can move into lymington then.
I am going to give the Tower a call on Saturday and book.
Is it worth asking about a trip up the tower?

Ken

Return to “General Topics”