Boxing Day and Bob Rothwell ...

The place to post anything DW-related
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

There's no doubt that Garry's suggestion is an admirable one. But the real problem with champagne is that the feeble, watery stuff needs to be mixed with something to be of much use. Cassis or brandy spring to mind. Although I’ve always fancied trying DW’s favourite beer cocktail, the Black Velvet.
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

shanedwyer wrote:But the real problem with champagne is that the feeble, watery stuff needs to be mixed with something to be of much use.
Sounds as though you're much of a mind, Shane, with Count Alexis Orlof in The Shadow of Tyburn Tree, when Roger Brook and Natalia Andreovna plump for champagne after joining him in his private quarters. On p213 he remarks to Roger (after himself quaffing a goblet of brandy):

"That's better! That's a real man's drink. I wouldn't insult my stomach with that fizzy muck you're drinking .... "

Then shortly afterwards:

"Pour that filth you're drinking into the monkey's pot" [there's a pet ape in the room with them] "and fetch yourself a bottle of brandy."
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Pour that filth you're drinking into the monkey's pot That's a cracking quote Cibator. I could see 'the monkey's pot' being put to pretty serviceable use as a metaphor too.
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

Shane, you might enjoy the following extract from a letter published yesterday in the Dominion Post (Wellington's main newspaper). It was written in reply to a favourable comment on pinot noir by our top movie star Sam Neill, who also on the quiet owns a small vineyard and winery out here.

Pinot noir is a pretty feminine little grape, good only for blending with pinot meunier to make a nasty fizzy wine the French call champagne - only good for horses and horsey people wearing funny hats.

NB: I was NOT the author of said letter!
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Ha, I’ve no problems dallying with feminine little grapes. Especially if the liaison’s with Pinot noir’s alluring little Italian cousin, Pinot Grigio- the principessa of bargain wines!

As well as making me yearn for a drink on this bleak January afternoon Cibator, your comments are causing me to wonder what the reasonably priced, reasonably decent wines would have been in DW’s booze retailing days. What would the ordinary middle-class chap have bought for an occasional accompaniment to his oxtail and roast beef in the 30s?

Or would ‘reasonably priced, reasonably decent wines’ have been an oxymoron back then, with the man on the Clapham omnibus having to save up rather diligently for a very occasional accompaniment?
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Just a brief reminder that Bob Rothwell, founder of this website, died seven years ago today.

Also a reminder of our friend Iwan Morelius and those various other fans of DW who are no longer with us.

Fortunately we all keep the torch alive, and hopefully with Bloomsbury's venture DW will regain the enormous popularity he once enjoyed.

All best to all !
Charles
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

To absent friends!
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I never met the man, but he created a website that many years ago was a big help to me as I struggled to learn more about this mostly-forgotten author and from what everybody says about him, he was a good guy. And I think, Charles, that he would be proud with the way you have continued the website, keeping his work intact while expanding it.

Besides, this is one of the few places on the internet that I have found where the atmosphere isn't constantly charged with negativity and pointless bickering. It is, rather, a quite relaxing and respectful place. Seems quite an accomplishment to me.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Boxing Day again, and time to remember the founder of this website, the late Bob Rothwell.

Where would we be today if Bob hadn't started this website all those years ago, and if Charles hadn't taken over the reins so ably when Bob passed away?

I shall raise a glass to them both this evening!

Best Wishes to one and all, Steve[font=Courier New] [/font]
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Amen to that Steve.

And let me add all my best wishes to the DW community as well.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

A happy Boxing Day to all--best of the season!
CharlesAdmin
Level2
Level2

Post by CharlesAdmin »

The same sentiments to all !

I hope you had good Christmases and have excellent New Years.

I too shall be raising a glass to the excellent Bob Rothwell's memory.

I shall then drink a toast to all of you.

Return to “General Topics”