Museum

The place to post anything DW-related
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Museum

Post by Stevie P »

Having just read the latest entry in the museum which concentrates on DW and his Women, I woulld like to offer my congratulations on yet another excellent submission. It is full of the 4 F's - Facts, Fiction, Female's and Foto's!!
The Museum is turning into a real work of art and I can't wait for the next chapter. You must have spent alot of time on it.

Looking at the last photo of the DW group showing DW with Joan, Bill and Diana, I noticed how many similarities there are between DW and Joan. The same height, the same short hairstyle, the high forehead and very similar facial features. Perhaps, at the end of the day he just wanted a clone of himself!!!!!

Well done Charles
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

For those of you who have been looking through the exhibits in Charles' Superb Museum I recently came across a postcard of The Totland Bay Hotel in Room 3 (Gordon Eric Gordon-Tombe).

There is a postcard of the hotel dated 1904 together with a note from Gordons girlfriend 'Beatrice'

"Both DW and Gordon-Tombe had a number of girlfriends.
Chief among Gordon-Tombe’s was Beatrice, the wife of a wealthy northern industrialist he had met while on official duties with the Air Ministry
They spent long periods of time together, sometimes in London, but more frequently at the Totland Bay Hotel on the Isle of Wight".

I thought you might like to know that I was there last weekend and was hoping to to take the same 'Postcard' picture from the pier but unfortunately the hotel is no longer there.
I was informed that it was demolished in the 70’/80’s - Not very accurate..I know but there was no further info available.
The pier itself (which is also shown in the postcard) was also off limits as it was being repaired. However I did manage to get some photo’s of the pier and the area where the hotel would have stood.
Alas, at least we now know that another relic of the Wheatley years is now no longer with us for those of us trying to retrace his steps.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Thanks for letting us know, Steve.

A pity it's gone - it looked a curious affair, and I'm most grateful that you've saved us all an abortive trip.

On the positive side, at least we know from Cibator's recent post ('To The Devil A Daughter') that the Red Lion in Colchester is real, so perhaps in due course that neck of the woods will be due a Field Trip :D !

All best to all !
Charles
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Stevie P wrote: Alas, at least we now know that another relic of the Wheatley years is now no longer with us for those of us trying to retrace his steps.
I used to think that this kind of destruction was a mostly American phenomenon. (Out of several houses in which Edgar Allan Poe lived during his years in Philadelphia, only one remains standing, and New York University deliberately destroyed one of the New York City sites associated with that author.) But I see it happens everywhere...
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

Jim wrote:
Stevie P wrote: Alas, at least we now know that another relic of the Wheatley years is now no longer with us for those of us trying to retrace his steps.
I used to think that this kind of destruction was a mostly American phenomenon. (Out of several houses in which Edgar Allan Poe lived during his years in Philadelphia, only one remains standing, and New York University deliberately destroyed one of the New York City sites associated with that author.) But I see it happens everywhere...
We're not immune from it here ... One house in Wellington formerly belonging to the family of Katherine Mansfield (scene of her famous short story The Garden Party) was demolished in the 1960s to make room for a motorway, while another (setting for At The Bay) has been much altered. Thankfully her birthplace has survived by the skin of its teeth and, fully restored to its late 1880s aspect, is now a major tourist attraction.
Fas est et ab hoste doceri

Return to “General Topics”