marketing and merchandising

The place to post anything DW-related
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Alan, I agree with Charles - the figurine idea is priceless.

I've been silent for several days working on fast food promotions, and have come up with another serving of my usual nonsense.

I started with some Double Agent Doublers. The McSallust Sausage Special, which comprises Cumberland sausage with English mustard, and Bratwurst with sauerkraut. And then the McBrook/Breuc burger, which combines roast beef with frogs' legs. But that seemed to exhaust that idea.

Then I thought of the Grauber Gutbucket - two dozen frankfurters in a dustbinette of sauerkraut.

The Sir Pellinore Lunch Box would combine Beluga caviare with fois gras sandwiches and a magnum of champagne (with free silver tankard).

And I also toyed with the McModern Musketeer Burger.

And you think you've got problems, Alan?

Oh, and the McEunuch Special - Kazdim Kebabs.[font=Courier New] [/font]
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Yes, I DO have problems, actually. I had a mouthful of coffee when I read about the Kazdim kebabs, and the resultant laugh sent it splattering all over my screen. (Er, no remarks about what else may have splattered over my monitor over the years, please!)

Anyway, this fast food deal thing is really gaining ground. How about the much neglected Julian Day - dessert only (remember his sweet tooth), the Gavin Fortescue pack - miniature pretzels, a small curly-wurly, and a bite-zized version of one of those twisty loaves (everything in it is really tiny and twisted!) - The "Richard and Marie-Lou after sex meal", with champagne and biscuits (Read "The Golden Spaniard" for more detailed description), or the alternate De Richleau pack, containing nothing but a single Hoyo cigar, for after all "Who smokes, dines"... Or the "Strange Conflict anti-Saturday special meal deal" (five Dover soles)... Or even just a Dennis Wheatley burger, with lots of meat and assorted capers!

OK, I have to go and clean my monitor now, before elementals start materialising on it!
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Been following this topic with much interest, can't think of further suggestions for packs of cards or food, but I think Alan may have something with his
idea of a computer game.

What about one based on 'Strange Conflict' where the player can leave his body and can face combat on the astral plane and have to return safely to his body? or one using 'They found Atlantis' as a theme travelling through the subterranean caverns etc.

The figurinres is also a good idea, possibly models of various vehicles, eg The Duke's Hispano could also be produced

Best to all

Duncan
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

The figurinres is also a good idea, possibly models of various vehicles, eg The Duke's Hispano could also be produced

Best to all

Duncan[/quote]

It already is - or at least at one stage was. I don't know if it's still available, but Corgi toys used to package their model cars with a sort of bas-relief scene in the background. The Hispano Suiza has a street scene with a patisserie and the street is called RU DE RICHLEAU. I'm sure whoever decided on the street name must have been a DW fan. I have one (in the original packing, of course) and treasure it.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

can't believe this is still going. some excellent suggestions.
taking the car/transport theme what about models of rex and richards planes, the boat from they found atlantis and the craft from sixty days to live.
but i think my favourite idea is the game. i would go for black august. it has many possibilties as either a "fsp", role play or "rts".
in fact can i copyright that idea.

i am about to start another thread, wonder that will be as popular?

ken
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

... Or even just a Dennis Wheatley burger, with lots of meat and assorted capers!
Better rethink that one, Alan - DW hated capers! (As well as butter, and several other foodstuffs he itemised in The Young Man Said.)
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Returning to Alan's model Hispano Suiza - which I think (for what it's worth) is a Matchbox rather than a Corgi (though they might all have merged into one company at some stage - I can't remember) - the spelling on the street sign is DE RICHELIEU, so another variation on the name (see Charles's recent posting on the subject). However, like you, I think the designer must have been a DW fan.

I can't remember for sure which particular de Richleau novels the Hispano Suiza appears in, but I think there was one in 'The Devil Rides Out', which was published in 1934.

Without wishing to appear an expert on the Hispano Suiza, or cars in general (which I'm NOT - can hardly tell one from another), I noticed that the Matchbox model in question is a Hispano Suiza Y-17 of 1938, so I went in search (on e-bay) of an earlier model which might have featured in TDRO. Sure enough, I found a Hispano Suiza H6C from 1934 manufactured by IXO in their Museum series; it looks just the thing for dispersing a group of Satanists, so any DW fans who - like me - have never quite let go of their childhood may wish to add one of these to their collection (if they'll admit to having a collection).[ font=Courier New] [/font]
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Oh No !

Not another thing to collect ... but I suppose at least it's small !!!!

:D
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Like Oscar Wilde, I can resist anything but temptation.

Alan and Steve, you are bad influences - I have just bought myself my first Matchbox toy for (approximately) fifty years.

And I will enjoy it !!!!!

Charles
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Cibator, you're right about the capers - I stand corrected, I remember he hated cold butter (but was fine with the melted stuff over lobster) and totally forgot the caper thing.

Steve - You've pointed out a much more embarrassing mistake. Yes, it IS a Matchbox, not a Corgi, from the "Models of Yesteryear" series. Why embarrassing? Cos the *&^&^%^ thing is kept in the same room as my computer, so really I had no excuse.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Alan and Charles - my problem is that I already have one of the Matchbox models, but without any of the original packaging. I suppose now I'll have to buy another one complete with box and scenery, just for the sake of the magic de Richeleau street sign!

Another problem is that several of my favourite authors featured wonderful cars in their adventures, so that I have succumbed to (amongst others) model Rolls-Royces in homage to Dornford Yates and Cords inspired by James Leasor.

"Where will it all end?" I ask myself.

"In bankruptcy or lunacy" I reply.[font=Courier New] [/font]
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Well, if it's any consolation, you'll have company !!!

Charles
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Steve Whatley wrote:
Another problem is that several of my favourite authors featured wonderful cars in their adventures, so that I have succumbed to (amongst others) model Rolls-Royces in homage to Dornford Yates...

"Where will it all end?" I ask myself.

"In bankruptcy or lunacy" I reply.[font=Courier New] [/font]
Wouldn't it be easier to go for "Ping" and "Pong" (from "Berry & Co") - And I bet you'll never find a model of a "Lowland" (whatever that is!)
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Alan, are you trying to catch me out on one of my favourite subjects? Ping and Pong actually feature in 'Jonah & Co'. Yes it would be easier, as any coupe from the right period and capable of seating three people comfortably (and with plenty of luggage space) would do. But I'd have to buy two and give them consecutive registration numbers, assuming my eyesight were that good and my hand steady enough.

Yes, I do wonder what a Lowland would look like. DY's reason for using the name was that between the wars, publishers were a bit sensitive about using real brand names, though he didn't let that stop him referring to Rolls. Anyway, if one tries to come up with a fictional posh car from that sort of period, I challenge anyone to think of a more plausible name....[font=Courier New] [/font]

Return to “General Topics”