Julius Kayser

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

Julius Kayser

Post by Charles »

Times change ...

I've just had an email from a descendant of Juli Kayser, of the Kayser family who taught DW about wine making in Germany before World War I.

Their impressive winery, which is illustrated in Room One of the Museum, has now been turned into a Buddhist Museum.

If anyone wants to know more, or to see what the building looks like now, click the following link

http://www.buddha-museum.de/

All best !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

[font=Courier New] [/font] They do indeed...

When Jean and I went to look at it some years ago it didn't look much different to how it did in photos from 1914, although it seemed rather forlorn and appeared to be disused.

My first thought is that it's sacrilage for the building to be used as anything other than a winery.

Having checked out the website, however, it is nice to see the building looking rejuvenated and back in use - and nicely floodlit too.

As DW was well-read on world religions, I don't suppose he would necessarily disapprove of the building now being a Buddhist Museum.

What Herr Julius Kayser would think of it is anyone's guess...

Charles, did the descendant of JK say what they thought of it?

And do you think the Museum would be interested in a photo of the Buddha statue which DW owned for many years? It would seem sort of appropriate for such a photo to be on display there - don't you think?

One final thought - does this mean that on our next visit we'll actually be able to go inside the building?

Fascinating prospect...
Last edited by Steve Whatley on Thu 12 May, 2011 22:39:10, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Steve,

Like you, I'd love to go inside the building.

It looks as if opening hours are shown on the website, but I don't speak German so I can't be sure.

Any volunteers ?

All best !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Well spotted, Charles. I don't speak German either but I'm pretty sure that's 10-6 Tuesday to Sunday, closed on Mondays.

Actually, exploring the website a bit further, I see that there is a translation facility - just click the button and it all changes into English!

The Moselle valley seems a strange location for a Buddhist Museum, but there you are.

My only reservation about the refurbishment is the glassy extension (?) on the right-hand side.

But as I said before, at least the lovely old building is now occupied, and looking good. And they've left the name on the building (perhaps it's a listed building, or whatever the German equivalent is).

Exploring the website further, I see that there's a short video to watch, showing lots of the exhibits and some internal features of the building. There's also a brief description of the building which gives the name of the architect.

I think it's a new 'must visit' on the list of DW locations. [font=Courier New] [/font]
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Agreed !

All best to all !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”