The Devil Rides Out and Rides Back Again

The place to post anything DW-related
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Strange Conflict for sure. It's this novel that convinced me that DWs' imagination was years before its time. The astral plane sequences would be amazing if handled correctly. All very exciting! Can you tell us more Bob?
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

I totally agree that it needs to be an occult follow up.

I suggest, Strange Conflict first and then Gateway to Hell.

Although its not De Richleau, They used dark forces would make a great film.
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

MMMM...tricky. If you're looking for an occult title and a De Richleau novel, then it's a choice between Strange Conflict and Gateway to Hell. Strange Conflict is definitely the better choice, but I do seriously wonder whether it is filmable on a small to medium budget. If they could bring it of without doing to much damage to the original story it would be marvellous!
gloomysundae
Level4
Level4

Post by gloomysundae »

Granted that it would be a challenge, but I don't think it would be beyond the realms of possibility to come up with a decent movie version of The Ka Of Gifford Hillary if the director was working from a decent screenplay (preferably by Richard Matheson). It's not even my favourite Wheatley novel, but there are certain set-pieces in the story - the burial alive sequence, the death-ray murder and subsequent disposal of the body in a wheelbarrow, the arson etc. - which would lend themselves very well to filming.

Or so it seems to me. ;)
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

imho I can definitely see it as a TV film - would fit in nicely with the current spate of supernatural series.
Sir Pellinore
Level1
Level1

Post by Sir Pellinore »

I saw a cinematic adaption of "To the Devil a Daughter" many years ago, with Christopher Lee in it. I can remember feeling very let down by the filmt, and thinking it wasn't a patch on "The Devil Rides Out". Not much of DM's original work was adhered to, if I recall correctly, I think someone just bought the film rights for the cracking title. All in all quite an inelegant and nasty piece of work, in my opinion.
"Cupid and Bacchus my saints are,
May drink and love still reign"
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

You're absolutely right, Sir - DW himself fell out with Hammer over this production, which prevented any other DW titles from being filmed by them.

Check out the film page for further details of the films from DW's novels.
Sir Pellinore
Level1
Level1

Post by Sir Pellinore »

How interesting! This is just the sort of "insider information" I was hoping to pick up when I entered The Library's portals. I must say I am enjoying myself immensley digging about and being enlightened on so many aspects of DW by the very knowledgable members here. I don't profess to be anything other than a mere dilettante, and offer my thanks and congratulations on providing such an enjoyable experience for me at the end of a burdensome day (I have teenage and older children, and today I confess I malevolently paraphrased DW in contemplating one of my offspring - "From The Devil A Daughter"!).
"Cupid and Bacchus my saints are,
May drink and love still reign"

Return to “General Topics”