Next years Convention

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Nick and I are working on it.

A number of people felt that, all other things being equal, they would rather not do an exact repeat of last year - much as they enjoyed it - for fear of risking the formula getting a bit stale.

We're currently working on a stay in the Salisbury Plain area and a coach or car trip to re-create the car chase in The Devil Rides Out - a matter on which Steve Patton I may add has done a great deal of excellent research.

The key limitation is cost - even without a credit crunch, we need to keep the cost to a level where we can attract the same level of interest as last year - or even more.

That probably rules out the The Bear for a stay, although it is very nice (I went and had a look), but it might be 'on' for an evening meal. There are other hotels in the area but they have mixed reviews so we need to go and have a look once the snow is out of the way.

If we can get that sorted, we also need to see if we can get a decent coach - we could use cars, but that would mean spoiling the group atmosphere for large slices of the day.

Thoughts on whether you think we're on the right track or the wrong track very welcome ... as I say, the one clear constraint is not to charge too much so as many people as possible can afford to come and enjoy.

By all means post your thoughts here, or email us privately if you prefer that way.

It's snowing here in London - better shout louder Ken ...

All best !
Charles
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I am on the verge of booking a flight that will bring me to London from July 4 through 12. Is there any hope of this taking place on July 11?????
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

It would be nice to meet at last, Jim !

Last year's was held earlier, but we haven't booked anything yet, so dates are currently flexible.

I've had back a response from two of our friends who say that because of distance and their particular circumstances this year, they probably couldn't make it if we held our meeting in the Hungerford / Marlborough area.

As you'll remember, we posed several different suggestions for what we might consider doing last October.

It would be really helpful if others could let us know if they think we're on the right track or the wrong track before we get any further ... replies via the Library if you're willing to share, or to me or Nick directly if you would rather transmit them privately.

Best wishes to everybody
Charles
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Charles,

Apologies for not having responded to your note sooner.
As I have previously indicated I am all in favour of 'The Devil Rides Out route' together with dinner at The Bear but if this is not acceptable to others I am quite happy to go with other suggestions.
It would be a shame to break up the group from last year. Perhaps we should set a deadline with all options listed and a vote for the various preferences. Didn't we do something similar last year?
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

evening everyone.
as long as the dates don't clash with any of our holiday plans mary and i are game for anything.
lookng forward to seeing everyone again and hope all is well.
ken
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

It might be best to make a group decision as to what point of the compass for our convention would be the best. Assuming East is the least practical, and using London as our centre, North would bring us to Kidderminster and Cardinals Folly, West would encompass the already discussed Bear and DRO car chase, and South would bring us within striking distance of Lymington. A repeat visit to the Corus is not out of the question but we would need some help to come up with ideas to make this convention different from the last one. If we can have some ideas in the next couple of days, no doubt Charles and I will start the ball rolling.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

I must admit I have my doubts as to the practicability of the car-chase route idea, also whether it would be that interesting, but I'd probably give it a try and hope to be surprised. In any case, I don't suppose that would occupy the entire weekend, so there would be time on the agenda for other things.

I wouldn't be averse to a repeat of last year's most enjoyable gathering - obviously with a different programme of events. Though as I've said to Charles, some items might be worth repeating for people (if any) who weren't there last time; I for one would watch The Secret Of Stamboul again - I found it fascinating. And we could always watch The Lost Continent over a few drinks (cocktails?), and have a laugh at the monsters. I'm also working on one or two other ideas which I've mentioned to Charles, which I hope would make the Convention even more enjoyable regardless of which location we choose.

Jean and I will probably be able to reach any of the areas suggested by Nick, and as we haven't booked any holidays yet, we will try to fit around whatever dates you fix.

I'm quite happy to vote if it helps us reach a decision.

One thing I didn't get as much of last time as I'd hoped was just talking DW in person with fellow enthusiasts, so whatever we plan, and wherever we do it, the gathering itself will make it worthwhile for me.

One last thing (which may have been said before): we have to get together again don't we, if only to watch Christopher Lee's welcome message - assuming it's available this time?
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

hello all. hope everyone is well and in good cheer.
we just got back from a weekend in london and couldn't help but notice all the DW connected "landmarks" and that got us thinking! what about a DW treasure hunt?
this could take several forms.
teams let loose in london to find the most connections to DW and his charcters. proof required of course. with a "prize" for the most and the most ingenious connection.
or
i don't think i am alone in dragging my beloved to anywhere even remotely connectied to a DW story so what about a baord game style map with pictures of places visited in the stories and we would have to say who was there and why. for the more obscure there could be clues. a few of us could do these from our own "collections".
just a thought.
ken
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I'll liaise with Nick later this week to collate results.

Thanks Ken for a very stimulating suggestion. If I start going off on a treasure hunt for DW items, my wife may skip off and start looking for handbags.

Still, that would make us both happy !

Seriously, great idea. Keep them coming !

All best
Charles
CharlesAdmin
Level2
Level2

Post by CharlesAdmin »

Dear All

Thanks for your feedback - both online and offline.

The consensus I SEEM to get is that people would rather not try the Hungerford / re-creation of The Devil Rides Out car chase this year, but would rather go back to the Corus, with rather more unscheduled time for talking etc etc ...

Have I got this right ?

If so, we'll see what Corus can offer us this time round ... but probably for a bit later as we are already in March.

Suggestions for what we might do in the day include seeing The Lost Continent as we haven't watched that as a group (I refuse to watch To The Devil A Daughter ... if you want to watch that, I'll be in the bar :D !), and seeing if we can get a suitable guest speaker, although anyone will have a hard job following Iwan ... and Iwan - I very much hope you'll be coming along !

Steve Whatley & Nick Dow have already made suggestions for possible speakers, although we don't yet know if their candidates would be interested !

Further feedback & suggestions welcomed, but if it's Corus and we're to do anything in late Spring / early Summer, we'd better start finalising our plans fairly soon.

It would be helpful at this stage to start getting an idea of what dates people can / can't make, and an idea of how many of you would be definites or possibles if the cost is around the same as last year's.

Many thanks to all of you for your feedback, and all best as always !

Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

hi charles.
we are away the first week in may on holiday so if its not to cheeky that doesn't suit us.
hopefully we will all meet up before but we will also be away mid july as well.other than that we should be fine the rest of the year

best wishes,
ken and mary
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Evening All !

Time's marching on a bit, so perhaps we should firm up our thinking ...

I've been in touch with Corus, and their prices are pretty much unchanged ... we would probably have to make it a bit more expensive than last year though because we now know a bit more about the incidental expenses.

A nice venue though, and I get the sense that most people would prefer it to something different - and probably rather more expensive. Best to be cautious as 'we don't know what's round the corner' economically a few have also commented.

Steve W and others are thinking about possible speakers.

One thing I've just heard is that Iwan will be away until mid September, so if we have it before then, he won't be able to join us.

Any further thoughts you may have on venue and timing etc would be appreciated.

I know it will be impossible for us to do something that will be 100% perfect for everyone, but it would be nice to get as close as we can.

I don't know if you agree, but it seems to me we've had some great posts in the Library recently. It's nice to see Steve P and I have the same favourites in Mediterranean Nights. Spooky ! I won't tell you what my favourite is in Gunmen Gallants & Ghosts, but if yours is the same as mine I may start getting worried ... :D

Best to all !
Charles
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Charles,

Good evening, I read in your post that Iwan is unfortunately not available to attend a convention until September.

I don't know everyone else's thoughts, but it would be nice, if possible, if a date could be set when everyone who was at last years convention was able
to attend . Assuming of course that all last years attendees do wish to meet up again.

On speakers, has there been any development from Corus ?, and if so have they anyone who could speak, possibly on the theme of the future of Dennis Wheatley, or is that a subject that we could discuss among ourselves?

Best regards to all

Duncan
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Thanks for that, Duncan

I agree it would be a pity if everyone from last year who wanted wasn't able to attend - especially last year's guest speaker !

I know a couple of our number need to reserve dates in their diaries fairly soon.

Given what Iwan says, have about a date in September / October ... i.e. Autumn rather than Spring ?

That would also give us more time to contact possible speakers, now that we know (although I've only had two replies so far to my last post) the general preference is to go back to the Corus this year.

Re Chorion (I assume that's who you mean), I spoke with them a few weeks ago, and there wasn't anything major to report at that stage. If things change in that area, however, it would be a good idea. I'll keep it in mind.

All best to all !
Charles
Sir_Dan_of_Cure
Level1
Level1

Post by Sir_Dan_of_Cure »

I've only just stumbled upon this topic, so please accept my apologies - was last year's meeting the first? And is this something open to all, or is it an esoteric and clandestine gathering?
"The Silver Knight" by Daniel Cure...now available online... http://stores.lulu.com/danielcure

Visit the website at www.danielcure.co.uk

Return to “General Topics”