Next years Convention

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

O.K. everyone, Nick and I have had a chat and it looks as if we are definitely 'on' for Saturday 7th November - venue the Corus Hotel at Elstree as before.

Usual drill, and while prices haven't yet been finalised, they should be roughly the same as last year, i.e.

Day only - with buffet lunch plus dinner - around £60

Day with buffet lunch and dinner plus overnight stay B&B (one person) - around £145

Day with buffet lunch and dinner plus overnight stay B&B (couples) - around £170 between them.

Those who are interested, could you please let me know if you are 'definitely coming' or 'may be coming' ?

As soon as we have the final prices we'll try to do the reservation and payment (the two have to go together) fairly soon.

Looking forward to seeing as many of you there as can make it - as those who were there last year will testify (see the review), an excellent time was had by all !

All best !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Just a brief update ...

Negotiations are at an advanced stage and going well.

It looks as if we will be able to keep the overnight stay rates at £145 for a single person and £170 for couples.

The day rate however is probably going to go up a little to £70 ( I think when they did their costings last year they forgot the day only package included both lunch and dinner !).

I'm just waiting for a couple of replies after which I can give Corus some firm numbers. At that stage I will be requesting money as I have to make payment with the booking, so please get your cheque books warmed up !

If anyone who hasn't given me a firm indication they can come finds at a later stage they are able to make it, while we can't guarantee it, our hope is that we will still be able to fit them in.

Numbers look to be a bit up on last year.

We looking forward to seeing everyone in November - it'll be great when we make the final reservation.

All best to everyone !

PS As you will see from the end August update on the What's New page when it goes live, hopefully later today, we should have something decidedly interesting to watch after dinner ...
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Everything is now firmed up with the hotel and prices are per my last email.

I've just signed the contract with the hotel, so I'll be emailing the 'definites' asking for money shortly.

Those who are undecided we'll be delighted if you can join us; obviously the sooner you can let me know you're coming, the sooner I can get onto the hotel and get a place reserved for you.

It looks as if we will have at least 14 people, possibly several more ... so numbers a bit up on last year, which is nice.

For those who were there for the first Convention, we're going to be in a different room this year, the Arkley, which I think is even nicer.

Meals in the Regency Room as before.

We're still working on the day's schedule, but to set your minds working, one thing we're thinking of doing is putting a slot in the afternoon somewhere for anyone who wants to talk about their 'favourite things' relating to DW. The idea is that anyone who wants (you don't have to if you don't want to !) can bring in a couple of their favourite DW related items (they could be copies of the books you particularly enjoyed reading, or bits of DW ephemera ... your choice !) and just share for a few minutes with the rest of us why you like them. Hope that idea appeals ... if so, please (gently) get your thinking caps on !

Looking forward to seeing all of you that can make it .... one day we'll have to find a way of video-conferencing in those who live in the U.S, New Zealand etc and can't join us ... We'll be thinking of you ...

All best to all !

:-)
Charles
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Wish to thank the organisers for the 2009 convention, another superb event enjoyed by all who attended.

If more of us can go to the 2010 convention it is recommended.

I know Charles and Nick have already got the ball rolling and they deserve and other members who help them deserve our support.

Once again thanks to all for a superb day, it was also nice to renew friendships formed at the first convention.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Duncan,

Speaking on behalf of myself and the other organisers (I'm sure they won't mind) I think I can safely say we enjoyed the Convention as much as you did.

As you will see, I've set up a new sub section for ideas for the 2010 Convention.

All best - I'm sure there will be plenty of excitement between now and then !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”