Next years Convention

The place to post anything DW-related
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Sir_Dan_of_Cure wrote:I've only just stumbled upon this topic, so please accept my apologies - was last year's meeting the first?
The first ever! If you go back to the "Contents" page, you'll see a link to "The Dennis Wheatley Convention 2008"...do take a look.
And is this something open to all, or is it an esoteric and clandestine gathering?
Esoteric, yes. Clandestine, no. :D You need only be willing to spend a day immersed in the works of "The Prince of Thriller Writers," in the good company of like-minded souls.
Sir_Dan_of_Cure
Level1
Level1

Post by Sir_Dan_of_Cure »

Sounds quite excellent!
"The Silver Knight" by Daniel Cure...now available online... http://stores.lulu.com/danielcure

Visit the website at www.danielcure.co.uk
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Good !

As you'll gather, we're taking soundings on whether the best date for everyone would be in the early Autumn, as it's a bit late now for Spring ....

All best to all !
Charles
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

OK folks what's happening.?I am swamped with work (no complaints) and have not done anything, but if we are going to have a meeting this year decisions need to be made. Yes I know we are all busy, but we must all make time, me included. Where? When? How many? How much and what content. It was so good last year we must not let it go.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Nick,

You are quite right - we must not let the grass grow under our feet, so to speak.

Since our last discussion in the Forum, I have been quietly sending and receiving emails 'behind the scenes'.

Unless I am misinterpreting the consensus (in which case everyone please let me know !), it is for another Convention at the Corus, and with a line-up not dissimilar to last time, but with rather more 'unallocated time'.

Regarding speakers, one suggestion, which sounds very interesting to me, comes from Steve W - he is in touch with someone who interviewed DW in his later life. I will leave Steve to say more - it sounds most informative and amusing !

Re timing, perhaps it is a problem of all 'second Conventions' - it proves very hard to find a date that will suit everyone, and it would be such a pity to leave anyone from 'the original crew' out. That is why, even when we had established everyones' preferences for what they wanted to do, fixing a date proved impossible in the Spring.

So what now ?

The Summer is probably out as people will be taking their holidays (if I'm wrong on that, please shout !) , and one international friend (I'm deliberately not mentioning any names here for security reasons) is away until the second week of September in any event. What about the remainder of the early Autumn ?

All ideas welcome, but can I suggest as a starter I list out possible dates so everyone can say when they're free ? If we can then alight on a date we can all make (touch wood !), we could ask you, Nick, to use your charm on Corus and negotiate us a favourable deal. Just so everyone knows for their early planning, when I spoke to them in the Spring their prices were pretty much unchanged. That might however, depending on Nick's negotiating skills, in practical terms mean a very slight increase as we learned last time there were a few incidental expenses.

For info, I've put against each date below the number of 'key players' I definitely know can't make the date (forgive me anyone if you've already told me a date you can't make and I've left you out !). I've also noted a few dates I myself regrettably can't make. I should add for the avoidance of doubt that while I would obviously love to attend (complete understatement), I would completely understand if it turned out there was a date everyone could manage except me, and l am certainly delighted to do everything I can to help with the organisation whether you pick a date I can attend or not. I am sure evryone else will say the same. The Convention is the thing.

That said, and to start the ball rolling again, here are some possible dates - as I say, if anyone wants to extend the date range in either direction please say - I'm just concentrating on early Autumn 'to get the debate re-started'...

Sept 5 (1 key player away)
Sept 12 (1 key player away)
Sept 19 (me away)
Sept 26 (me away)
Oct 3
Oct 10
Oct 17 (me away)
Oct 24 (me away)
Oct 31 (me away)
Nov 7

As I say, please don't feel constrained in any way by what I've written - this is just to get things started.

VERY best to all as always !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Well, Jean and I can't make Sep 12, and are extremely doubtful for the ones either side of that, Sep 5 and Sep 19.

In any event, as a Convention without Charles is in our opinion unthinkable, our votes at this stage go to Oct 3 and Oct 10, but if a later date should prove desirable, any time from Nov 7 onwards should also be fine for us.

To expand on what Charles touched upon, I am in contact with a journalist who interviewed DW on more than one occasion, including on a visit to Grove Place, and he has prepared a short talk entitled 'The Day I Upset Dennis Wheatley'.

Another idea which I've mentioned to Charles is that if we have in attendance more than one person who met DW, they could stage a short discussion regarding their respective memories and impressions of DW - his character/persona, his reputation as a generous host, etcetera, etcetera - and answer questions from the audience, perhaps 'chaired' by Charles or Nick (or anyone else who volunteers).

I'm also still working on DW-related competition ideas - nothing too heavy or competitive, more a bit of fun - but with 'quality' DW-related prizes (duplicate/unwanted rarities gratefully received for the prize fund).

As a separate idea, if any of you (even just a handful) fancy trying a game of Invasion, Blockade or Alibi, that could be arranged, but would probably prove somewhat time-consuming, and might best be done as a pre-Convention amusement for those arriving on the Friday evening?

Anyway, I'm sure that having waited the extra few months, we'll all enjoy the second Convention all the more!

My best wishes to you all.
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Right I'm on to the Corus this week. I'll report back
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

hello all.
well its good to see that everyone is busy in the present trying times.
mary and i are free for any weekend from the the end of august until christmas and will gladly follow everyone else for dates.
ken
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All

Just to say two others of our number have very kindly contacted me.

They can do 10th October and 7th November, but not so easily October 3rd.

All best !

Charles
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

A quick update ... the only person at last year's Convention who had met Dennis Wheatley (everyone at last year's Convention will know who I mean) can make 7th November but not October.

If anyone would find 7th November difficult, it would be helpful to know before Nick makes his phone call to Corus.

Otherwise it looks to me as if 7th November is the preferred date.

Best wishes as always !
Charles
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Corus Hotel is ready and willing to have us back on November 7th. I need to give them a number of delegates, in order to start beating them down on price. The more people the cheaper it should be, and the Credit Crunch may work in our favour. No doubt Charles and I will get together soon.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Nick and I have just spoken.

When I send out the email notifying everyone of the next update on the 'main' part of the site, I'll ask for firm commitments - not money at this stage, just an 'I'm definitely coming' so Nick can know numbers when he negotiates with Corus.

Then we'll take it from there ...

Best as always !
Charles
caroline$-0
Level3
Level3

Post by caroline$-0 »

I really really hope 'that I will be able to meet you all at the next convention.
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Finally got Prices and a Menu from the Corus Hotel. No doubt Charles will ring soon. It's Looking good for november. More details soon.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Excellent news, Nick !

I'm back from holiday next week, and all being well, I'll ring you then.

Best to all
Charles

Return to “General Topics”