To Lucifer - A Daughter

The place to post anything DW-related
Mike Fletcher
Level2
Level2

To Lucifer - A Daughter

Post by Mike Fletcher »

I have just acquired a first edition of The Early Adventures of Roger Brook. Whilst happily comparing it to my second edition, I noticed three immediate differences between the 1951 and 1953 editions:

1. the 1st ed and usual publisher's entry London New York Toronto etc had moved on a page by 2nd ed and there been replaced by Hutchinson Stratford Place. Was this significant?

2. the 1st ed goes straight from p5 to p9 with no visible sign of any page removal whereas the 2nd ed contains the dedication page (unnumbered) from The Launching of Roger Brook between p5 and p9. Have I been duped?

3. the 2nd ed listing of DW's work contains the entry, beneath Codeword - Golden Fleece, To Lucifer - A Daughter. Apart from the obvious, what is that all about?
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

3. This was probably the working title; I think the one we know it by has a better ring.

Wheatley's original title for EVIL IN A MASK was ENTER THE NYMPHOMANIAC (yikes)! Also, he wrote THEY USED DARK FORCES under the title THE DEVIL'S DISCIPLE.

There are probably other examples, but those are two that I know of...
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Alternative Titles

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Novels:
Evil In A Mask (working title) Enter The Nymphomaniac
Gunmen, Gallants And Ghosts (working title) The Mixture As Before
The Quest Of Julian Day (working title) The Accursed Quest
The Ravishing Of Lady Mary Ware (as mentioned as a forthcoming title in the uncorrected proof copy of Gateway To Hell) The Forwardness of Lady Mary Ware
The Shadow Of Tyburn Tree (working title) So Roger Went To Russia
To The Devil—A Daughter (as mentioned as one of DW's titles in the 2nd reprint of The Early Adventures Of Roger Brook) To Lucifer—A Daughter
They Used Dark Forces (working title) The Devil's Disciple

Short Stories:
Two Birds With One Stone (working title) Berkeley Buttery

Films:
The Devil Rides Out (USA film title) The Devil's Bride
The Eunuch Of Stamboul (filmed as) The Secret Of Stamboul; (USA film title) The Spy in White
To The Devil A Daughter (USA video title) Child of Satan; (German film title) Die Braut des Satans
Uncharted Seas (filmed as) The Lost Continent; (UK: video box title) The Dying Sea; also Lost Island and The People of Abrimes

Any others gratefully received.
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

This is awfully silly, but since reading this I keep thinking of alternative titles for the novels. Just think...The Devil Turns Up instead of Devil Rides Out, Strange Conflict becomes The Duc Dozes Off! Sorry..
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Apologies accepted!!

Return to “General Topics”