DW's Board Games - Invasion

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

DW's Board Games - Invasion

Post by Charles »

Dear All

I'm doing some work on the various editions of 'Invasion'.

Does anyone have a second edition ?

If so, I'd very much like to hear from them ...

Kind regards to all !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Just to close down this post I've now managed to track down a second edition.

Very interesting ... none of the editions are quite the same.

I'll put more details in one of the regular updates on the main site

All best to all !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I've just come across a couple of online reviews of Invasion and Blockade.

If you're interested, have a look at

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/26555 ... -of-things

The writer rates Invasion very highly.

All best !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Charles, is this the sort of thing you unearth at work in the run-up to Christmas? You surely wouldn't have time for this sort of thing at home at this time of year?

Seriously though, it's fascinating (to use one of my over-used expressions); it just goes to show the worth of time spent 'surfing' or whatever they call it.

On a recent visit to a toy museum(!), I reached for my diary and jotted down the names (and manufacturers where I could read them from a distance through the glass) of several wargames which seemed likely to be roughly contemporary with DW's, to add to some I'd already noted some years before. The object was to attempt to assess the boardgame market of the day and see what competititon DW had, and to decide whether he started a craze himself or jumped on the proverbial bandwagon of existing popularity.

This site which you've found reveals numerous other games which I've not seen before, and just goes to show that in the 'dark ages' of the 1930's and 1940's there weren't just one or two war-based board games around - there were probably dozens of them. One can imagine it in this day and age, but somehow one imagines that in those days there would have been only one or two 'pioneers' marketing such games. It just goes to show (another favourite phrase) that in many respects times don't really change that much.

I once played a game of Blockade with a friend (we chose it instead of Invasion on the basis that it was simpler and would be more likely to reach a conclusion), and found it slightly disappointing in it's outcome, which seemed inevitable for a long time, but no doubt it would have been far more exciting with three or four players instead of just two.

Having said that, I recall reading Iwan's account of playing Invasion with only two people, with games lasting several hours, and being spread over two days!

I've suggested it before, but what about some organised play at the next Convention? [font=Courier New] [/font]

Return to “General Topics”