British Pathe News

The place to post anything DW-related
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

British Pathe News

Post by Bob Rothwell »

If you've not been there, make an on-line visit to the British Pathe News archive web site. Type Dennis Wheatley into the search box and look at the four offerings. By 'buying' the free previews, and going to your shoppng basket you can download the previews for free onto your own computer. If you are very rich, you could also buy a full resolution copy! Make a point of watching NOVELIST BRICKLAYER - I had never seen DW in full colour action before, and it made the hairs on the back of my neck prickle with emotion.

Should anyone treat themselves to a full resolution copy - we look forward to an invitation to view!!

Many thanks to Rob Pritchard for telling me about this.
Last edited by Bob Rothwell on Tue 12 Sep, 2006 23:38:57, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I saw this in the little scrolling bar last night, with no link or directions, and I immediately went to Google to try to track it down. Once I left out DW's name, it was easy to find the correct Pathe site, where I hunted out (as Bob suggests) the four clips.

I downloaded the free version of the "bricklaying" clip. There's no sound except for the voice-over, but the quality is certainly good enough to enjoy. (Are the "full" versions very expensive?)

I'll check the others out soon--thanks so much for the tip!
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Jim:
Sorry - I haven't yet worked out how to put links etc into my area of the Latest News ticker and you must have seen the item before I had had chance to put in the posting. Glad you like the clip, though.

Prices for the full version: high resolution web presentation: £525.00 plus VAT!

Strangely enough when I last looked this is the only price I saw, but I now notice that a high resolution presentation (not web) is only £25.00 plus VAT. I'll have to investigate the differences and report back. I suspect it may have something to do with different licenses.
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Update to British Pathe prices:

Prices are not for purchases of footage, they are for purchase of licences as follows:

Low Resolution Preview material is free of charge.
Preview material is strictly for off line usage. No rights are granted for any audience outside educational use in schools.

High Resolution clips for PowerPoint Presentations are £25 + VAT each.
PowerPoint Presentation rights are for one year from date of purchase and are strictly for use in presentations to an invited audience.

High Resolution clips for Web Publishing are £500 + VAT each.
Web Publishing rights are worldwide for one year from the date of purchase. Only medium resolution clips can be used commercially. They can, of course, be transcoded to different file types and resolutions before publishing, but the source material must be of a quality that meets with British Pathe's standards.
Last edited by Bob Rothwell on Fri 7 Jul, 2006 01:07:09, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Fletcher
Level2
Level2

Post by Mike Fletcher »

Bob

I've been looking for a way of repaying you for the many hours of pleasure and reams of valuable free data your site has given me. I think I have an idea. If you think the site and its members would benefit from access to the Powerpoint Presentation, I would be very happy to sponsor the first year's access rights.
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Mike - I get my thanks from you all by knowing you find my site of some value. But thanks very much for your kind comments.

If you really feel like sponsoring a year's licence though, I know a lot of people would get a great deal of enjoyment from it and on my and their behalf I gladly accept your generous offer. (Now, I'll have to get away from my forum designing to find out how to do a web PowerPoint Presentation........mutter, mutter.....)
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Bob wrote: I haven't yet worked out how to put links etc into my area of the Latest News ticker and you must have seen the item before I had had chance to put in the posting.
I was so excited by the idea, that I didn't even wait to see what might be coming up. It amazes me that these clips are available so easily, that anyone who cares to follow a few simple steps can have this on his or her computer!

I don't imagine anyone has ever seen the "Living Portraits" film DW mentions in his letter to Iwan Hedman, done in 1967. (He notes that his only copy is locked away at the bank, with his manuscripts.)
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Iwan Hedman in his 'Fyra Decennier med Dennis Wheatley', 1973 states 'Citat ur brev av den 12 februari 1973: (Taken from a letter dated 12 February 1973:)
"The film of my life done at Lymington in 1967 was the first of a proposed series to be called "LIVING PORTRAITS". Unfortunately the Company folded up shortly afterwards and made no others. The film ran for about 20 minutes and during the talk I gave about my life, with many shots of the house and garden, there were interposed photographs of myself at various ages and other houses at which I have lived. Unfortunately the only copy that exists is in my bank and must remain there as if it was lost or damaged it would be impossible to replace it and I am, naturally anxious to keep it for my grandchildren".
I can confirm that it has survived and is currently in the hands of his grandson.
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Novelist Bricklayer

Post by Bob Rothwell »

[align=center]Thanks to Mike Fletcher's generosity we now have a copy of the full resolution version. Anyone wishing to view this, please contact me via a Private Message.[/align]
lukehoney
Level3
Level3

DW film & video clips

Post by lukehoney »

The Pathe news clips are great. On a similar theme, did anyone manage to download the video clip from the BBC4 Letter to Posterity website : "On other authors of the time and his passion for collecting". It's now been deleted by the BBC. I was hoping that someone might have saved it? It was an especially interesting clip as it had DW standing in his library talking about his extensive book collection and his signed first edition of Crowley's "Magick in Theory and Practice". Montague Summers and all the other occult boys of the 1930's got a mention too. Think it also had stuff about DW's Napoleonic capo-di-monte porcelain collection, too (figures of Napoleon's marshalls). Vintage Stuff! I'm kicking myself for not saving it. Never assume these things are going to be available online for ever...

As I'm in the antiques business, I'm rather intrigued by DW's various collections (stamps, coins, carpets, ceramics, Georgian furniture, arms and armour, and of course modern first editions). I've got a copy of Blackwell's auction catalogue for DW's book collection, but I was wondering if any of DW's stuff was sold at auction after his death? Does an auction catalogue exists? Charles- do you think it would be worth having something about DW's collections on the site? His Napoleonic capo-di-mote collection was quite amusing....Phil Baker touches upon it in his great work.

Incidentally, my mother in law lives in Lymington very close to the site of Grove Place. My wife and I had a look at DW's serpentine wall when we down there. There is a similar Serpentine Wall further along the road. I reckon Dennis got the idea from this wall and decided to copy it.

With very best wishes

Luke
oldjiver
Level3
Level3

Post by oldjiver »

Return to “General Topics”