They Found Atlantis

The place to post anything DW-related
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

They Found Atlantis

Post by Bob Rothwell »

I would be grateful if anyone who has an early hardback edition of the above could check for a printing error.

This occurs in Chapter Three, paragraph 16, after the one beginning 'Count Axel's eyes narrowed a fraction.....'

There are three scenarios that I am aware of:
  1. Count Axel's eyes narrowed a fraction but his smile was lazy, tolerant, good natured. "I see," he murmured after a moment.
    The man paused at the table, and took their order, to which ........
  2. Count Axel's eyes narrowed a fraction but his smile was lazy, tolerant, good natured. "I see," he murmured after a moment.
    "You thought that I was distorting facts in order to ........
  3. Count Axel's eyes narrowed a fraction but his smile was lazy, tolerant, good natured. "I see," he murmured after a moment. "You thought that I was distorting facts in order to ......
No.1 occurs in an undated reprint copy I have with an inscription dated 1943, and in an undated Hutchinson's Universal Book Club edition (which also contains an erratum slip pointing out the printing error).
No.2 (Count Axel's conversation still split into two paragraphs) is in an amended undated copy of the Universal Book Club edition I have, a Hutchinson reprint marked 75th Thousand, circa '48, a 1954 reprint, and all the Arrow paperback editions.
No.3 (the correct version) appears in the Heron and Lymington Editions.

Can anyone please tell me when the misprint No.1 first occured?
Mike Fletcher
Level2
Level2

They Found Atlantis

Post by Mike Fletcher »

I have a third impression brick red hardback which, listing Contraband as "In Preparation", should be around 1936. Indeed, like your excellent data displays for the first edition, it has 339 pages; 5 adverts; and 40 pages of Hutchinson's Spring List No 1. So I think 1936 is pretty safe.

I can confirm it displays the correct text shown in your scenario 3. So it was after 1936!
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Thanks Mike - my Hutchinson's c.1943 reprint has only 256 pages as has the HUBC copy, so my guess is that it first occured with this print reset whenever that happened.

Can anyone else update this info.?

Return to “General Topics”