Venice For Pleasure - J. G. Links

The place to post anything DW-related
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Venice For Pleasure - J. G. Links

Post by Steve Whatley »

Just an idle thought, for any of you out there who might be contemplating a trip to Venice in the near future. Why not take (in addition to The Rape of Venice, of course) a copy of J. G. Links' book 'Venice For Pleasure'? It's a handy-sized volume and makes interesting background reading, and you can sort of feel the DW link as you explore that wonderful city. I believe it's still in print - it was a few years ago; anyway, you can still pick up copies quite easily on the good old internet.

Incidentally, Joe Links wrote a number of books about Venice, and many on art which may be worth a look (and some about the fur trade - not my cup of tea - which are probably not very PC these days).
Hoyo de Monterrey
Level3
Level3

Post by Hoyo de Monterrey »

Curses! Just got back from Venice three days ago!

Still, next time....
"Here's to crime"
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

I trust you're pulling my leg....
Hoyo de Monterrey
Level3
Level3

Post by Hoyo de Monterrey »

Afraid not! :(
"Here's to crime"
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Drat! If only I'd mentioned it sooner. Hope you found it more fragrant than I did. When I first went, in October '91, it stank to high heaven. Though to be fair, when I went in the Summer of '02 it seemed OK odour-wise - it just rained so much it flooded St. Mark's Square.

My favourite part of Links' book is a photo - don't know if you've seen it in any other Venice books - of the Campanile in St. Mark's Square collapsing. I think it happened in the early 1900's - some photographer had just set up his camera one morning for a shot of the tower, when it just collapsed, and he caught it in a splendid still. Sure, people have photographed buildings being demolished by explosives, but what were the chances of an unexpected event like that being captured with the technology of those days?

Happily, of course, they rebuilt the tower so well, you wouldn't know the difference.

Anyway, I hope you had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday.

Waiter, my nightcap please.......... yes, the white one with the bobble on it.

Return to “General Topics”