DW:a Legend

The place to post anything DW-related
Toohey
Level4
Level4

DW:a Legend

Post by Toohey »

I read in Clive Barkers a-z of horror that Dennis Wheatley once smoked 250 cigs, drank five magnums of champagne and still mananged to write 20 000 words all in a 48 hour period.

Well, that impressed me! :)
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

After five magnums of champagne I'll bet that I'd have difficulty writing my own name! As a non-smoker, I have to say that the 250 ciggies in 48 hours fills me with disbelief. He must have been smoking almost continuously in order to manage that. Sip of champagne, puff of ciggie, more champagne. Did he eat during this time, and did it all taste of Champagne and tobacco?
Toohey
Level4
Level4

Post by Toohey »

No idea on what food he consumed over this period, but type A that he was you can bet it was some high cholesterol food, such a duck pate. I'm not a smoker or a much of a drinker either so hats off to him fo that.
Hoyo de Monterrey
Level3
Level3

Post by Hoyo de Monterrey »

It all depends on whether or not he went to bed during the period in question, and as he was writing 20,000 words I suspect he didn't. In that case, 5 magnums over 48 hours = 1 bottle every 4.8 hours, which is perfectly feasible; at that rate he would be on a permanent alcoholic "high" without actually getting falling-over drunk. 250 cigarettes over the same period = one every 12 minutes - again, perfectly believable. Good man!

Incidentally, did Mr Barker say which book DW was writing at the time? If it was a best-seller, all would-be writers now know the secret of success!
"Here's to crime"
caroline$-0
Level3
Level3

Post by caroline$-0 »

:-) As far as I know Clive Barker became a successful novelist by writing horror,but after watching a recent interveiw of his, he seemed nearly embarassed to be thought of as such.Why???? but if he respected DW I will start reading him again.Even his abarat series.
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

I havn't smoked 250 cigs in my life and the champagne...well I could never afford it. I must admit that for a lad from South London born in 1952 a bottle of wine was the height of sophistication. I can afford to stay at the Midland in Manchester (occasionally) but I still carry with me a lot of the working class fear of 'posh' things that were not meant for people like me, and usually stick to cider and house rose wine. This is where DW comes in handy, all the charactors drink the right wines or spirits at the right time, and I regularly quiz my wife and freinds on the subject....'Is Moselle a wine or a wine growing district?....Simon Aaron drinks Cliquot and Bollinger whats the difference?....Whats the old fashioned way of serving Pimms?....Does Amontillado really lend an edge to the appetite?...now the big question has Dennis Wheatley enriched my life?......I'll tell you when I sober up Hic!...Burp!!!....but the answer is most certainly in the positive.
(By the way any answers to the above questions eagerly awaited...I bet DW would love this discussion!)
caroline$-0
Level3
Level3

Post by caroline$-0 »

:-)I had to laugh when I read your post.The only wine I ever heard of when I was growing up was red ruby.This was the favourite tipple of the town drunk.My first serious date took me to a restaurant and ordered rose red wine with our meal!!!!was I impressed.Sadly because of the town drunk and Dean Martin I never got into wine,but thanks to DW at least I know what wine goes with what course,and rose is not one of them.
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

And, as Rex Van Ryn puts it, "Does it really take a forth to make an appetite?"
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Oh Bugger! I love Rose Wine especially Blossom Hill! I really thought I was on my way to that sophisticated world that I'm trying to understand! Never mind back to the Cider! By the way I notice nobody has answered my questions! Its funny the bloke in Bargain Booze didnt know either....tell you what Richard Eaton drinks Orange Pekoe tea, and that is the best I've ever tasted, and you dont get a hangover....No I dont know what I'm on about either. Look what you started Caroline!

Return to “General Topics”