A DW Convention ?

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

A DW Convention ?

Post by Charles »

A DW Convention

We've got correspondence about a possible DW Convention in several locations. I don't want to interrupt those separate strands by relocating them, but thought it might be useful if I copied all the material into a new section specifically on the possibility of our having a Convention ... it seems to deserve a Topic in its own right ...

Here are the first few Posts ...

The late and excellent Bob Rothwell Posted: Wed 18 Oct, 2006 17:20:15

Thanks to Colin McCourt, discovered this little gem: The Worldwide Guide to Movie Locations.

(the Edgwarebury Hotel, a suitable location for a DW convention?)

My usual please, Wilkes

Frank Linmarsh Posted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:56:07

Will you be doing some conjuring in Black Park Country Park afterwards, Mr R?

It Begins

Bob Rothwell Posted: Thu 19 Oct, 2006 20:46:23

Ner! I'll probably be cowering in the circle, if they've left it intact in the Hotel.

My usual please, Wilkes

Nick Posted: Wed 25 Oct, 2006 09:21:04

The number of times I have seen 'School For Scoundrels' and never made the connection! Brilliant site! By the way book me up for the convention.

Nick

Bob Posted: Wed 25 Oct, 2006 23:06:02

Nick, contribution? or will you be there just for the drinks?

My usual please, Wilkes

Nick Posted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 12:37:21

I doubt that my Blues Band will be suitable, but I am an experienced M.C. and I can supply any entertainment from Jazz bands to piano players, Conjurers to fire eaters if necessary. I can arrange local radio Coverage and possibly T.V. Yes a drink would be nice as well. So who's dressing up as Wilkes then?
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

The correspondence continues ...

Garry Holmes Posted: Sat 7 Jul, 2007 15:39:13

Nick mentioned us all meeting at the hotel where they filmed Devil Rides Out. It's out of the question for me this year, but is anyone interested in something next year? I don't know what booking a party of us there would entail, but if anyone knows more about the place in question it might be nice if we could find out a few more details about the place. What does everyone else think?

Stevie P Posted: Sat 7 Jul, 2007 21:20:28

The Hotel you are referring to is the Edgewarebury.. See attached web link.

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/d/devilrides.html

Nick Posted: Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:13:14

Think it's called something else now. It's about £100 a night for a double room. I did a google search and it has been taken over by a chain of hot
els.

EDGWAREBURY HOTEL IN ELSTREE. The Edgwarebury Hotel on Barnet Lane, Elstree has just completed a £250000 improvement. programme as its owner Corus hotels ...
www.corushotels.com Type in Elstree and up it comes.

Nick Posted: Tue 10 Jul, 2007 22:04:03

Here are the details. They seem used to dealing with private events, so the idea of a DW convention at this venue is not out of the question.

Full of character with its charming Tudor style exterior and traditional interior decor, Corus hotel Elstree stands within landscaped gardens, surrounded by 10 acres of natural woodland. The intimate and sophisticated public areas make the hotel ideal for private parties and celebration dinners. Corus hotel Elstree is approved for civil wedding ceremonies and is a popular meeting venue. With excellent access to M1, A1 and M25, central London is within easy reach.

Prices from £39 Bed and Breakfast per person per night -

Steve Whatley Posted: Wed 25 Jul, 2007 21:47:47

The gathering at the hotel seems a great idea to me. Count me in. Will make an effort to contribute to the forum instead of just reading all your interesting comments
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Nick Posted: Thu 26 Jul, 2007 12:50:20

OK With Charles permission I'll contact the hotel and see if they would consider a DW convention, and how much per head. Next year might be best. I dont mind helping out with some of the organisation from up here in Blackpool, and as a BBC employee I can get some radio anfd TV coverage if required. I've just got a nice spread in Lancashire Life and on BBC Radio Lancashires website for a job I did for Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones, so why not blow the trumpet for DW fans. Might help with sales of the re-published books.

Hoyo de Monterrey Posted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 23:58:46

I think the idea for a DW convention is an excellent one, and I would certainly make every effort to be there - count me in. Hope Toohey can make it, too - we'll end the evening either sharing a magnum or having a duel on the lawn!

"Here's to crime"

Charles Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 09:00:24

Apologies for my delay in chipping in - I've been on holiday.

I agree the idea of all meeting up is an excellent one, and when I have a moment I'll move the idea into its own section in the Library.

Much I suppose depends on the number of people who might be interested, and on where they come from. We ought to video any such meeting for our Scandinavian, U.S. and other overseas brethren - assuming they can't all be there !

When the email list is tidied up and the reply facility is totally functional again (no promises when that will be - but I have asked the people who are looking after that side of things for me to look into both) I will be more than happy to send round an email enquiring about interest & other pertinent details.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a box or two of DW duplicates that I've been too lazy to put on eBay that I would put in the boot of my car and bring along - if others did the same, we could have a swaps and for sale corner at the same time ...

By the way, someone mentioned a possible showing of 'The Forbidden Territory' or 'The Secret of Stamboul'. I've got a copy of the latter but has anyone tracked down a copy of the former ??? It may be a lousy rendition but I'd love to see it ....

Charles

Nick Posted: Sun 29 Jul, 2007 22:04:16

We (my wife and I) will be happy to help with the organisation. The British Film Institute may be able to help with 'The Forbidden Territory'
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Bringing the correspondence up-to-date ...

Charles Posted: Mon 30 Jul, 2007 19:58:35

Well done Nick ! Thank you !

Re The Forbidden Territory film, I seem to recall trying the British Film Institute some time ago without success. I also tracked down the company which bought the film archive of the original distributors and they didn't had a copy either. I tracked down an American who had seen a copy over there in the 1960s but that lead ran dry. Even if it's a lousy movie it would be nice to see ... but there again, it's always nice to have something to search for ...

All the very best

Steve Whatley Posted: Thu 16 Aug, 2007 17:52:48

As regards The Forbidden Territory, when I enquired of the BFI (albeit ten or more years ago), I'm sure they said that they held a copy

Jim Posted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 02:48:19

Does BFI run a facility where one could make an appointment and see something? Or is it simply a preservation museum, where things are just stored, never to be viewed again?

Garry Holmes Posted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 18:03:38

As far as I'm aware, one can make an appointment to see any film on their catalogues. I believe that they also hire out films to festivals or whatever, although this would probably require a good deal of negotiation. Are there any BFI members here?

Jim Posted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 23:33:31

from their website:
<< The BFI has two 36 seat Preview Theatres available for private hire, located in the heart of London's West End. Formats include state of the art Dolby Digital EX Surround Sound, Video and DVD Large Screen projection with Surround Sound. >>

There's a DW outing for you--a private screening of THE FORBIDDEN TERRITORY, followed by dinner at a local carvery or the like.

Steve Whatley Posted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 23:12:44

I proposed such an outing to dear old Bob some years ago, but his location and circumstances didn't make travelling into London an easy thing to arrange, and at the time I had no other contacts who would have been interested.

Whichever is the more viable financially, viewing it at the BFI or showing it at the 'Convention', I'll willingly subscribe.

The BFI also have An Englishman's Home (US: Madmen of Europe), which, though Bob assured me DW's screenplay wasn't used, nevertheless gave him a screenwriting credit. So maybe there's a bit of DW in there somewhere. Anyone interested?

Another option for a double bill would be The Secret Of Stamboul; I haven't watched it yet as I don't have a multi-region DVD player, but it would surely look better on a bigger screen?

Nick Posted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 12:18:42

Great Idea,( the BFI I mean) it could be a try out for further meetings. Any idea on price for hireing the theatre?

Charles Posted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 21:29:58

I'll look forward to either.

As I mentioned, I tried the BFI for The Forbidden Territory a while back, but without success - I used their online query service and they had a Forbidden Territory, but it wasn't the right one. If someone else feels like making an enquiry though it might be worthwhile in case they get a different response.

If we don't get that, I found Secret of Stamboul an excellent film (I watched it twice over in my first sitting !) and a double bill with another film with a DW credit sounds tempting.

Nothing like an old movie to get you in the mood for reading more DW ....
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Thanks for moving this to a thread of its own. I doubt I'll be able to make it, from New York, but I will follow your deliberations with the greatest interest.
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Would it be a good place to start if Charles contacted all members to find out how many are willing to attend a convention in London, and get an idea as to which month next year would suit the majority?
I would suggest the next move would be to cost it out and see what accommodation deal was on offer. Then find out which special guests would be willing and available to attend.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Thanks Jim, and thanks Nick - an excellent suggestion. I'll get something out after the next Members List tidy-up (Jim you got that right ... it's a near impossible task ...).

While I'm doing that, do we have any BFI members about ?

Jim - if it goes ahead we'll have to videoconference you in, or at least make you a 'video'. Least we can do.
Charles
Toohey
Level4
Level4

Post by Toohey »

I love to attend a convention and meet you all. When and if it happens see you all there.
K R Cope

Post by K R Cope »

I would be definitely interested in attending an event next year; a Saturday and/or Sunday for preference.

Something in London, or at the Hotel where TDRO was filmed should not be a problem for me in travelling.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Many thanks for both your replies - I'll wait a couple of weeks to give everyone a chance to respond and then get back to everyone who has expressed interest to let them know how many people look likely to join us.

All the best in the meantime ...
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All

Following our correspondence in The Library and my mailshot, here is the state of replies so far :-

Definitely interested 9 - 12

Possibles but would be difficult (live far away etc) 4

Most people seem to be looking at Spring next year, and the preference seems to be for a Saturday meeting - and although not everyone has said anything about this, I think the majority are probably looking for something in or near London.

Everyone will have their own view, and The Library is the perfect place for us to come to a consensus on what we should do. Here are a few thoughts to get things going ... but I certainly won't have the monopoly on ideas ...

Cheapest option is presumably to hire an upstairs room in a restaurant - we could have a get together and a meal. We could get the odd guest speaker - Iwan for example has very kindly said that if he could get over (and possibly one or two others of his fellow enthusiasts), he would be happy to say a few words.

Re a showing of a DW film, we would have to find somewhere to do it. I have rung the BFI, and although they have two 36 seat preview theatres for hire, they do not operate at weekends.

The Edgewarebury Hotel (see previous postings) might not be too far out of London if that appealed, but although they do special offers, I don't know if they would apply for whatever date we might choose, and their 'standard rate' is not cheap -£129 room only.

Over to you ...

Incidentally I had a couple of people whose replies got bounced back for some reason - if you were one of them, please contact me again !

All best to everyone
Charles
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

It might possibly be an idea to use a Hotel with conference facilities. This way they will be geared up to Speakers Films and Catering. Any where round the M25 would make it accessable.
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Further thoughts are that members should be offered a choice of two packages. In other words. Venue buffet, evening meal so much or Venue buffet evening meal with b&b so much.
This would then allow members from further afield (like me) to plan and cost their journey.
It may only be practical to show the Enuch (secret) of Stamboul and maybe one of the Hammer films on a large screen system, however that would take up most of the afternoon, leaving no time for speakers etc. until the evening.
So it may be better that Dinner is served at eight, and coffee and a film served after ten. Some of the afternoon could be devoted to a workshop or an appreciation of DW by a guest speaker, and then plenty of time for questions and opinions (of which there are more than a few) The whole would be informative and memorable IMHO. I am really keen on the idea, so members forward please.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Nick

A couple of practical questions - do hotels of that nature have facilities for showing DVDs, and do you have to get permission from the copyright holder for such viewings ? I have no experience of such things ...

I hope others will join in the debate about what we should do ... otherwise the whole thing will be in danger of fizzling out ...

All the best to all
Charles
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Yes Hotels with conference facilities will be covered by a performing Arts and MCPS agreement. (This means they can play piped music etc.) A DVD for private viewing with paying delegates should present no problem.
I agree !!come on members lets get this off the ground! Who knows where it may lead! We could attract some serious interest in DW and related topics. I think we should take ourselves seriously as a DW appreciation society with something to offer and a goal in sight. It's easy to talk about the remake of DRO and the fiming of other books but as a united movement we could really reach the right people. I know I could get Radio and TV interest. I work for Radio Lancashire Part time.
LOADS OF INTEREST PLEASE!!!

Return to “General Topics”