What about the forum?

The place to post anything DW-related
Hoyo de Monterrey
Level3
Level3

Post by Hoyo de Monterrey »

Yes, Toohey you rabid old Red, I'm back as well! Nice to hear from you again - I thoroughly enjoyed our little Spanish battle, though I suspect we may have bored some of the other members to distraction.

You really should persevere with "Three Inquisitive People" - it's very obviously a first stab at a novel by a tyro writer, but it does carry you along, and of course it's fascinating to read just how the "Modern Musketeers" originally met.
"Here's to crime"
Toohey
Level4
Level4

Post by Toohey »

Smashing, the old place wouldn't be same without you. But watch the old, I'm only 36. Just middle-aged, at my age I don't know who to hate, the young or the old.

I dunno about Three Inquisaitive people though, his non-black-magic books are a bit of a no-no for me.
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Middle age is that wonderful period where you're allowed to hate everybody!

Go on, finish THREE INQUISITIVE PEOPLE. It is enjoyable, really...
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

The gathering at the hotel seems a great idea to me. Count me in. Will make an effort to contribute to the forum instead of just reading all your interesting comments.[font=Courier New] [/font]
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

OK With Charles permission I'll contact the hotel and see if they would consider a DW convention, and how much per head. Next year might be best. I dont mind helping out with some of the organisation from up here in Blackpool, and as a BBC employee I can get some radio anfd TV coverage if required. I've just got a nice spread in Lancashire Life and on BBC Radio Lancashires website for a job I did for Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones, so why not blow the trumpet for DW fans. Might help with sales of the re-published books.
Hoyo de Monterrey
Level3
Level3

Post by Hoyo de Monterrey »

I think the idea for a DW convention is an excellent one, and I would certainly make every effort to be there - count me in. Hope Toohey can make it, too - we'll end the evening either sharing a magnum or having a duel on the lawn!
"Here's to crime"
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Apologies for my delay in chipping in - I've been on holiday.

I agree the idea of all meeting up is an excellent one, and when I have a moment I'll move the idea into its own section in the Library.

Much I suppose depends on the number of people who might be interested, and on where they come from. We ought to video any such meeting for our Scandinavian, U.S. and other overseas brethren - assuming they can't all be there !

When the email list is tidied up and the reply facility is totally functional again (no promises when that will be - but I have asked the people who are looking after that side of things for me to look into both) I will be more than happy to send round an email enquiring about interest & other pertinent details.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a box or two of DW duplicates that I've been too lazy to put on eBay that I would put in the boot of my car and bring along - if others did the same, we could have a swaps and for sale corner at the same time ...

By the way, someone mentioned a possible showing of 'The Forbidden Territory' or 'The Secret of Stamboul'. I've got a copy of the latter but has anyone tracked down a copy of the former ??? It may be a lousy rendition but I'd love to see it ....
Charles
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

We (my wife and I) will be happy to help with the organisation. The British Film Institute may be able to help with 'The Forbidden Territory'
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Well done Nick ! Thank you !

Re The Forbidden Territory film, I seem to recall trying the British Film Institute some time ago without success. I also tracked down the company which bought the film archive of the original distributors and they didn't had a copy either. I tracked down an American who had seen a copy over there in the 1960s but that lead ran dry. Even if it's a lousy movie it would be nice to see ... but there again, it's always nice to have something to search for ...

All the very best
Charles
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind someone else joining in the fun.

I only discovered this web site just before Bob's sad passing and even though I had only been a member for a short time did exchange a couple of mails with him. I would have liked to have got to know him better.

I first read DW's books about 30 years ago and rediscovered him when I was going through some old books and found my old paperbacks of Strange Conflict, Gateway to Hell and the Forbidden Territory

Since then I have been trying to find his books and struck lucky in a second hand bookshop in York where I was able to add 5 more of his books to my collection.

I have also got the Hammer DVD's of The Devil Rides Out and To the Devil a Daughter.

I wonder if we will see new versions of these under the Hammer Revival ?
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Let me know what books you want I've got quite a few.
sales@gypsy-wagons.com

Nick
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font] As regards The Forbidden Territory, when I enquired of the BFI (albeit ten or more years ago), I'm sure they said that they held a copy.[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Does BFI run a facility where one could make an appointment and see something? Or is it simply a preservation museum, where things are just stored, never to be viewed again?
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

As far as I'm aware, one can make an appointment to see any film on their catalogues. I believe that they also hire out films to festivals or whatever, although this would probably require a good deal of negotiation. Are there any BFI members here?
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

from their website:
<< The BFI has two 36 seat Preview Theatres available for private hire, located in the heart of London's West End. Formats include state of the art Dolby Digital EX Surround Sound, Video and DVD Large Screen projection with Surround Sound. >>

There's a DW outing for you--a private screening of THE FORBIDDEN TERRITORY, followed by dinner at a local carvery or the like.

Return to “General Topics”