How Was It For You? (The Haunted Airman)

The place to post anything DW-related
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

A wasted opportunity. Everyone is in agreement.

What a waste!!

It is frustrating because it is well made, with good actors, a good set and atmosphere. The worry is that viewers may blame DW for the poor story.

What a waste!!!!

:smt093

A good thing to come out of it is that the music by Daniel Pemberton is outstanding - I downloaded it from iTunes and listen to it fairly regularly. It goes well with the book.
Regards,

Darren.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Yes, well it seems a shame that you managed to find something good to say about it.

I'd intended to suggest that we might award this adaptation some sort of official denunciation on behalf of the website, in order to recognise the enormity of the travesty.

Remembering DW's reaction to the film of TTD-AD, I imagine he'd be positively apoplectic were he ever to witness that shambolic effort which does no more than insult to his name.

Why are we still discussing this?

Mind you, if, in the light of your recommendation, I could revisit the music without watching the thing again, I might have a go....

[font=Times New Roman] [/font]
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

"Why are we still discussing this?" I guess because bad news is still news. being able to commiserate with other DW fans is as comforting, in its way, as being able to enthuse over a brilliant adaptation like "The Devil Rides Out" or even a great DW novel. In fact, I think I'll try downloading the music and listening to it on its own :^)

But it brings another idea to mind. If a modern filmmaker decided to adapt a DW novel that had not hitherto been done, what might they choose that would have the most impact on a modern audience. I am wondering if "Ka of Gifford Hillary" might fit the bill?
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Slightly off topic, I asked Charles at the convention who would give permission if anyone wanted to adapt a DW story or, as for Ian Fleming and now Agatha Christie, wrote a new story using DW's characters.

Charles informed me it would be Dominic Wheatley, but the writer or adaptor would have to be extremely good.

Probably Dominic would rightly insist on this because of this very poor adaptation of DW's work. As good old Bob posted at the time, what a waste, many of us were hoping that The Haunted Airman would be the start of a DW revival, not put the chance of it back even further.

As to Alan's question, what story would make a good adaptation, I think "Strange Conflict" would be my favourite probably followed by "They Found Atlantis"

Duncan
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Writing a novel, or adaptation from another writer's canon is always fraught with difficulties, both legal and artistic. The legal side is somewhat of a grey area, as the on-line publication of so much fan fic in recent years has demonstrated. Technically, using characters protected by copyright is not permitted, but in practice copyright owners usually turn the metaphorical blind eye when it is a genuine tribute and not written for profit. In an artistic sense, it can be difficult too... it's never easy to really get into the skin of the characters in the way their original creator can.

Having said this, I could almost be tempted (if I knew how to get into touch with Dominic Wheatley) to seek permission to attempt something along these lines. Whether it would be just a piece of fun for the amusement of myself and the other members here, or a serious commercial project would, of course, depend on what Dominic Wheatley gave permission for. If the latter, it would be great if I could get some kind of contract to do the adaptation or new novel! But of course, I'm pretty sure this is just a pipe dream. At least, however, I could make the points that I have at least had novels published professionally (albeit nowhere near DW's levels of sales) and as a reader of DW's work for over 4 decades am steeped in his world and could, hopefully, be trusted to do the job with due reverence to the spirit of the originals.

But alas, probably just a pipe dream as I say...
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Well, without even knowing which of DW's characters you would choose, Alan, I for one would subscribe to your book.

It would be absolutely splendid to read some further adventures of old familiar favourites.

Maybe if you get enough orders before the book is even written, permission might be forthcoming...

We can but hope!

Steve[font=Times New Roman] [/font]
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Dennis Wheatley Sequels

What titles come to mind?

I'll start with the obvious: The Devil Rides Back

Another obvious one is Black September - I'm sure DW would have an exciting plot with that one.

Any others?
Last edited by Darren on Wed 18 Nov, 2015 22:01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Darren.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Well, I'd like to see The Search For Roger Brook, because I'm not entirely convinced that he'd allow a drop of water to get the better of him, much less do for his beloved Georgina.

Other favourites would be Atlantis Revisited, and Return To The Fabulous Valley.

And with tongue firmly in cheek, perhaps; Still-Not-Fully-Charted Seas, The Island Where Time Still Stands Still, and Son Of The Eunuch Of Stamboul...
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Or even "Julian Day finally comes out on top," or "Conky and Molly's Wedding!"

Seriously, though, if I ever did get permission to do just one novel or series, I think I'd pick up on the modern musketeers, maybe picking up after "Strange Conflict" or setting a work just before "Gateway to Hell." A window of time when all the characters are at their peak, but not so early as to adversely affect the development of the characters (ie not before "Three Inquisitive People" for example.)

If it were a movie adaptation I'd love to do a series - starting with "The Devil Rides Out" and adding "Strange Conflict" and "Gateway to Hell" to make up the franchise. The first two I'd try to keep as much to the books as possible (ie Fleur, not Peggy, and keeping the characters' nationalities) but the final one would have to be reworked a bit to remove some of the distasteful racism, and correct a few plot holes. Or maybe, replace "Gateway" with one or more new stories... ideas, anyone?
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Alan,

I agree with you that The Devil Rides Out, Strange Conflict and Gateway To Hell would make a very good trilogy for either TV or films.

Unfortunately, I understand that the whereabouts of the ownership of the screen rights for The Devil Rides Out, and possibly To The Devil A Daughter are current unknown.
Probably Charles, Steve W or other more knowledgeable contributors could confirm this.

It would be magnificent if you were able to do something with DW's work, I am sure there would be a lot of contributors to this site and attendees at the convention who would be extremely pleased if someone associated with this forum played in a part in bringing his work back to life.

All the very best and I, for one, hope your pipe dreams come true

Duncan
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

I always thought the Molly fountain story should have been carried on. That had a lot of possibilities and could go in any number of directions, crime, espionage or horror.
Richard Webster
Level3
Level3

Post by Richard Webster »

duncanpaul17 wrote:Unfortunately, I understand that the whereabouts of the ownership of the screen rights for The Devil Rides Out, and possibly To The Devil A Daughter are current unknown.
Am I right in thinking that the late Christopher Lee co-owned with Hammer Films the rights to these two books, along with those to "The Satanist", which they never got around to making (thankfully, in my view, because I think this is a fairly poor DW book, although they could have just taken the title and the premise, as they did with "To The Devil A Daughter", and done something completely different with it)?

Hammer have had a bit of a revival of late, and I think a remake of "The Devil Rides Out" is one of those projects that's usually "in development" in some form or another. I've mentioned this before, I think, but Christopher Lee was quite keen on doing a remake, even though one would be hard put to improve upon the original film, but with better special effects, and Lee playing the Duke at a more advanced and role appropriate age. Apparently, when Lee made one of the Gremlins film for Joe Dante, after apologising for having appeared in the execrable (albeit just watchable, in a "so bad it's good" sort of way) sequel to Dante's highly rated "The Howling" ("Howling 2", aka "Your Sister's A Werewolf", aka "Stirba, Werewolf Bitch"!!!), the two of them discussed doing a Devil Rides Out remake, as Dante was a huge fan of the original film, but it never got anywhere.
brightspice
Level1
Level1

Dartington Hall - worth a visit

Post by brightspice »

I visited Dartington Hall - the inspiration for Weylands - over the weekend. Very atmospheric place. The main hall has a definite 'feel' about it, with massive arched windows. Worth a visit. Now I want to re-read The Haunting of Toby Jugg!
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Dartington Hall is definitely on my "to visit" list. It's history/mythology covers the age of Wheatley, a progressive school opening not long before DW started writing and closing due to a series of scandals only a few years after DW's death.

There is really atmospheric footage on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C4Grqukknk

Is it open to the general public - or did you trespass, Brightspice? :-$
Regards,

Darren.
brightspice
Level1
Level1

Post by brightspice »

We booked a room in the west wing (to the right of the main entrance), but walked through the great hall on the way back to the room after dinner. Not sure if that was really allowed, but it was more a case of getting a bit lost and stepping through the door than intentionally going that way! With all the inside lights off and just the light from outside filtering in through the large windows it was quite special.

We got a really great B&B rate. Only downside is it took us hours to reach!!

I would definitely recommend it. Maybe we could organise a field trip there??

Return to “General Topics”