My contribution to get things moving...Rising Storm

Members' book reviews and comments
Diamondhairdan
Level3
Level3

My contribution to get things moving...Rising Storm

Post by Diamondhairdan »

The third in the Rodger Brook series is perhaps slightly over-long and often too wrapped up in specific historical content compared with some of the others, however, it does have a fantastic ending, which would do any book justice.
The year is 1789, and the storm clouds of revolution are gathering in France. Brook is sent by Prime Minister Pitt to assess the turbulent political situation in France, and if possible, to break up the Family Compact, which threatens to undermine British superiority over the economic and military might of both Spain and France. However, he quickly becomes embroiled in a personal task for none other than Marie Antoinette, taking him across southern France to the courts of Italy, and then to Spain. As is predictably the case, he falls hopelessly in love with a young woman - this time being a Spanish princess, who is unfortunately betrothed to another.
The meanderings of this novel, together with the level of historic detail, mean that it is the longest one yet - overlong in my view, however, it does set the scene of the first phases of the revolution very well (including the storming of the Bastille and removal of the royal family from Versailles to Paris).
The ending, however, is one of Wheatley's greatest. Brook arrives back at Westminster to face an angry William Pitt. He has ostensibly failed in his mission, ignored several orders, and has participated in the murder of a senior Spanish nobleman, which means that there are orders for his deportation to France to face execution. Does he manage to squeeze out of this rather sticky mess, I wonder... you be the judge!

Return to “The Rising Storm”